Best Long Range Reticle?

1shot1kill

Hey guys I need some help from you all that has experience with long range reticles. I have just been invited to go on my first elk hunt with a buddy that I work with. He has been asking me for years to go with him. I am just now able to go. But long story short im looking for a long range scope to put on my Browning .300 WSM, gonna be shooting 165 grain Barnes Triple Shocks. I have been looking at the Zeiss 3x10x44 with Rapid Z600 reticle, and also looking at the Zeiss 4.5x15x44 Z800. I like the magnification of a 15X but no way am I even gonna be thinking about taking a shot over 500 yds so im leaning more towards the 10X scope. What is your experinces? What power should I get? Tell me the pro and cons to the rapid Z versus other quality long range scopes such as night force, swarovski, khales etc. Just trying to find a good fit for me, so I can get to the range and start practicing.

Thanks to all,

Nick

remke

Re: Best Long Range Reticle

I have a NF ??x44x56 with the NP2
I use it on my 22-250 AI for prairie dog shoots. I love the scope, it costs a little bit but you pay for what you get.

280longshot

I can only comment on my experience with the ones like Boone & Crockett from Leupold, Nikon BDC, and the one Burris has.
I love the Boone and Crockett reticle cause it's easier to see, has a windage mark and is good to 500yrds vs say the marks on a Burris. I like the circles on Nikon but can get confusing if you don't write it all down on a cheat sheet and tape to stock.

To answer you question I really love the 10x magnification, it requires no focusing where anything over 12x does. When you have to take a quick shot, you don't have time to look then focus. Simple is better for me.

The rapid Z600 and Z800 look very close to the B&C reticle.

Just my opinion, this is what works for me in my hunting situations.

mr.big

for elk hunting 500 yard max the 10X will be way plenty and with enough practice either reticle will work,,I would highly advise to get the scope with the reticle in the first folcal plane so you can shoot at any magnification and your holds will be the same,,

KPH

mr.big said:
for elk hunting 500 yard max the 10X will be way plenty and with enough practice either reticle will work,,I would highly advise to get the scope with the reticle in the first folcal plane so you can shoot at any magnification and your holds will be the same,,
Yep

280longshot

mr.big said:

That sure would make things simpler. What scopes have a first focal plane???

ratsnakeboogy

1shot1kill said:
I went with the Swarovski Z3 4x12x50 BRH reticle. Anyone know of a good gunsmith in east tn that could lap some tally rings?

Buy the Wheeler Engineering scope mounting kit and you can Lapp your own rings forever. It's not hard to do.

Latest posts