Best job ever?

Hunter 257W

Made me have flashbacks to the time I sunk out smaller tractor bush hogging by the pond while my Father was gone somewhere. I didn't want him to see it so was in somewhat of a panic about how to get it out before he got back. The tractor was a Farmall Super C and fortunately we also had/have a Farmall M which is much heavier and could pull the C out. Problem was that I needed a driver on the C so the front wheels didn't flip sideways and plow possibly breaking something in the steering off. Finally rigged up two ropes to the steering wheel to keep it from spinning and got it pulled out. Of course it was all muddy when my Father got home but at least the work was done. :)

On your own land you learn to mostly avoid the wet places and how to gauge when they are dry enough to go back there but working on other peoples land the way you guys are doing each day is full of guess work on where you can drive. I feel for ya on that!

TN Whitetail Freak

I'm a private wildlife and habitat manager. I work with private landowners mapping their properties and designing long-term habitat and wildlife management plans.
Do you need an apprentice? I'm looking to exit law enforcement. I have a good knowledge of trees and plants.

BSK

Do you need an apprentice? I'm looking to exit law enforcement. I have a good knowledge of trees and plants.
Ha! If I do, I'll be sure to make contact.

Actually, fall and spring are pretty great times to work outdoors. Winter and especially summer, not so much. Climbing vertical ridges over and over and over in heavy clothing (to protect against bugs and briers) in 100+ degree weather is not fun at all!

Chaneylake

I wish...

Although, someday soon I will have to get a new ATV. 19 years of hard use are taking their toll. I'm just having a hard time justifying the $6,500 expense. Especially after just having to replace my GPS unit and upgrade my GPS software to the tune of about $8,000.
The upgrade in equipment will quickly pay for itself.
Faster and more accurate.

BSK

The upgrade in equipment will quickly pay for itself.
Faster and more accurate.
The new GPS equipment is a DREAM! Can't believe how much better the equipment and software are from 15-16 years ago. With my original equipment, under a full leaf canopy in summer, I would be struggling to get 4 or 5 satellites. Now I'm getting 15-20. Even down in deep valleys I'm getting a dozen or more. That speeds up the mapping work dramatically. I use to have to plan around the 2-3 hours of the day when the satellite constellations would be perfect. Now I can map all day.

Latest posts