best protein and antler growth for feeders

Colwell1505

Purina makes a good deer chow for high fence penned deer to maximize both antler growth and overall health.

If you are talking about free ranging deer, you will get more bang for your buck providing high quality forage than trying to feed them from a bag.
We have several good plots for feeding but wanted to beef up weight and see about antler growth to really manage

megalomaniac

We have probably 40% open fields , has not been logged in about 15-20 years and doing a spring food plot as well as our normal fall food plot this year
Set aside 10 % of your open land to burn or disk, then let it grow. Boom, high quality forage that will put more weight and antler growth than anything from a bag. If you want to over the top, pick out 3 2 acre blocks in the timber and thin the undesirable trees to get more sunlight to the forest floor

megalomaniac

Thank you all who reached out.
one more thing... don't get discouraged when you don't see improvements in antler scores the first year. you can make a difference in body weights in just a couple years. but it takes about 5 years to reap the rewards from habitat improvement for antler scores. Basically you are providing the extra nutrition to the buck fawn embryo inside the doe's uterus, THEN have to raise him up from birth to maturity to see the benefits.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
one more thing... don't get discouraged when you don't see improvements in antler scores the first year. you can make a difference in body weights in just a couple years. but it takes about 5 years to reap the rewards from habitat improvement for antler scores. Basically you are providing the extra nutrition to the buck fawn embryo inside the doe's uterus, THEN have to raise him up from birth to maturity to see the benefits.
There is evidence that the health of the doe at conception and then throughout the term directly effects the buck fawn growing into his genetic potential so megalomaniac's plan is solid.
Managing parasites is another significant practice that can and will greatly improve weight, health, fawn recruitment and more. Ticks and fleas, louse and worms take a toll across the board. They consume a lot of a deers nutrition and potential.

trout

I have seen notable improvement in herd health at my farm after using trace mineral licks for the last 10 years. The total number of deer has not increased but now I see much fuller appearance. First big old mature buck I took on the farm was less than 120" with heavy bases and small tines. He appeared muscular with heavy bone structure and was likely well past peak and in regression. Since then, the rack sizes have improved slightly with 2-1/2 year old looking more like 3-1/2 year bucks with a substantial increase body weight.

The last few years I have started using Big Tine Mineral and Vitamin supplement for deer licks.

WTNBowHunter

If you like to listen to podcasts, check out the MSU Deer Labs podcast. They've got a lot of good episodes that speak directly to this and the research to support some of the suggestions you've read on here regarding TSI.

Latest posts