Best Gun Quota Hunt for Bucks

Antler Daddy

Of all the Quota Draw Hunts, what is the best GUN hunt for an above average chance at a trophy buck? Is it Cheatham, Yuchi, Catoosa, Laurel Hill, or some other place?

MickThompson

What's your definition of a trophy?

I don't know that any are better or worse odds. The hunter makes their own odds. The odds aren't great on any of them when you average a hunter per 50 acres or less- you have more hunters than good bucks if 1/3 show up.

Volbuck777

My dad and I got drawn for catoosa muzzle last year and we both shot decent 8 Pts a day apart. They're not what most would call trophy's but we were sure proud. I think catoosa has 3 quotas and they shot 160 deer Total. on 1000 person draws on each. That doesn't include non quota. I haven't been to them other places so I don't know. But whatever you do good luck sir, let us know how you do.

PickettSFHunter

TN doesn't have a quota hunt with actual good success rates. Look at Georgia quota hunts for quality bucks would be my advice, they publish detailed stats also. KY has some great success rate hunts also so I recommend Building points there.

Volbuck777

Dang just seen your second post, good luck with that. I'd say you've got a better chance at finding Bigfoot than someone posting the best spot for a 140+

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
PickettSFHunter":36zi4rcj said:
TN doesn't have a quota hunt with actual good success rates. Look at Georgia quota hunts for quality bucks would be my advice, they publish detailed stats also. KY has some great success rate hunts also so I recommend Building points there.

PickettSFHunter, could you give some insight to the KY hunts. I would like to venture out of TN and KY seems to be a easy drive for me. What are good hunts to put in for?

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Definitely not Yuchi. It has antler restrictions, and a few good bucks are taken every year, but by no means is the average buck a trophy anywhere near your standards... and I doubt that any WMA will be.

I agree with catman, too

catman529

Antler Daddy":3hhun0sx said:
Would it help if I lowered the gross score by 15 inches to 125?
in my honest opinion, don't go online looking for the best opportunity at a certain score class of buck on any WMA. Your best odds are probably at presidents island, even though the quality of habitat and hunting have gone downhill out there, it still takes 10+ years to draw a permit to hunt for 3 days with archery equipment. It's the best known draw hunt in the state for big bucks, which means a ton of people apply every year, which means it takes years of priority points to actually draw a hunt. If there are any places that are easier to draw where you have a good chance at a big buck, they're probably kept under the radar and people don't like to talk about them publicly, for good reason. If you really want to find a quality draw hunt that isn't hard to draw, you're gonna have to do some digging. And keep your findings to yourself so you can continue to draw more hunts in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buzzard Breath

tree_ghost":2r0qegp3 said:
Antler Daddy":2r0qegp3 said:
We have several WMAs with antler restrictions for gun quota hunts. What WMA offers the best opportunity to take a 140?
The ones in Iowa...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This would be my #1 choice and even that would be tough to do.

Buzzard Breath

Antler Daddy":3ord4oik said:
Is it Cheatham, -----------, Catoosa, Laurel Hill, or some other place?
Any of these would probably work for killing a mature buck (regardless of size). None of them will be easy. Just pick a WMA close to home that you can draw multiple hunts a year. Spend tons of time scouting it. And, in the same amount of time it would have taken to draw PI, you will probably have a decent opportunity at a mature buck, if not several. And you will also have many years of good memories leading up to that time.

bobbuck

Buzzard Breath":ns0pvv2y said:
Antler Daddy":ns0pvv2y said:
Is it Cheatham, -----------, Catoosa, Laurel Hill, or some other place?
Any of these would probably work for killing a mature buck (regardless of size). None of them will be easy. Just pick a WMA close to home that you can draw multiple hunts a year. Spend tons of time scouting it. And, in the same amount of time it would have taken to draw PI, you will probably have a decent opportunity at a mature buck, if not several. And you will also have many years of good memories leading up to that time.

Great advice!

Duck dogn

Well I will start by saying I'm not near the hunter old catman is but I've hunted yanhli and laurel hill since the 90s every year since at laurel hill. I have seen GOOD deer at both places. This is going to throw a curve ball at you the only buck I've killed off of either place was a huge cow horn spike on yanhli probably close to 14 inch spikes, several years ago. When I go to those places I want to kill 140 plus deer for the simple fact of hunting alone and getting game out. If I've never killed a huge buck from them why go back? I know they are there and I love seeing different places close to home. The big one will show one day it will happen!!! I know yanhli isn't quota but there is also a public land thread going on so I figured I would include it.

TX300mag

catman529":e9oalp9q said:
If I knew the answer, I sure wouldn't post it on the internet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Same here.

I have my opinions, and they're just my opinions, so I'll keep them to myself.

Besides, there are SO many I haven't hunted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts