Best deal on a decent long range scope?

Kimber45

So, I am about to be the proud owner of a Remington 700 custom 6.5 creedmoor.. I have a buddy who shoots long range so I'm hoping he can help me along the long-yardage-trail. With that said, I need a decent scope for this gun.

He's suggesting a Athlon Helos.. They run about 550 and are first focal plane scopes with pretty good features. I've been looking at SWFA, Millett etc too but would like to hear you guys experiences likes and dislikes on the LRS topic.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
I was able to try out the Athlon scope last weekend out to 1000 yards. It's a decent scope for the price, although I preferred the SWFA scopes over it.

IMO, the SWFA scopes will be your best bet for long range. Good glass, excellent repeatability and tons of erector travel.

Kimber45

markwondi":3dqss6c7 said:
I was able to try out the Athlon scope last weekend out to 1000 yards. It's a decent scope for the price, although I preferred the SWFA scopes over it.

IMO, the SWFA scopes will be your best bet for long range. Good glass, excellent repeatability and tons of erector travel.

Which Athlon did you try?

hunter0925

Look at the vortex viper pst gen ii. The first gen viper was one of the go to for people just starting to get into lrs. I have used several of the pst scopes and had no complaints for the price point. The gen ii should be a great step above that and the magnification is on a 5x instead of 4x.
Also, don't get stuck in ffp unless that is just what you feel you have to have. Your most accurate shots will be dialed through turrets and not by using holdover even though the hold over will be inherently faster. Also, check the actual reticle size before buying the ffp. I have looked at several and was on a ffp kick for a while but I felt that the reticle size covered to much at high mag or was to narrow at low mag. Just my personal opinion.

TraumaSlave

I have the Millet LRS and love it. Big honking scope but, it is a nice scope. Mechanics on it work well. Cut my box perfectly using turrets. Glass is good. Once you figure out exactly what you want, try find an FFL friend, :cool:, who would be willing to help a brother out. Glass is one of the biggest mark ups in sales. You would be amazed.

infoman jr.

hunter0925":5yscpypj said:
Also if you are worried about being over a certain price on the vortex pm me and I may be able to help you out in a pretty big way.
I also get a good discount from them, and the would probably prefer that it not be shared.

Kimber45":5yscpypj said:
JimFromTN":5yscpypj said:
CamerlandNY has the athlon scopes on sale right now

Thanks. They had every one except the one I wanted.. I bought a 6-24x50 Athlon Helos.. They were $560 or so anywhere I looked, local dealer sold me one for 425.00. Hopefully get to try it out soon.
That should serve you well. Enjoy. It's addicting.

Kimber45

infoman jr.":24zyh82e said:
hunter0925":24zyh82e said:
Also if you are worried about being over a certain price on the vortex pm me and I may be able to help you out in a pretty big way.
I also get a good discount from them, and the would probably prefer that it not be shared.

Kimber45":24zyh82e said:
JimFromTN":24zyh82e said:
CamerlandNY has the athlon scopes on sale right now

Thanks. They had every one except the one I wanted.. I bought a 6-24x50 Athlon Helos.. They were $560 or so anywhere I looked, local dealer sold me one for 425.00. Hopefully get to try it out soon.
That should serve you well. Enjoy. It's addicting.

Oh it gets better lol.. Bidding on the custom 700 6.5 build the owner informs me he's selling 2! So, I'd bid on one already, but reasonable bid I thought that wouldn't hold. His other rifle was actually ending 1st, won it, then didn't get outbid on the OTHER lol.. So, now have 3 creedmoors of which 2 are custom Remington 700's.. of which one will be getting rehomed :)

Latest posts