Best centerfire subsonic??

rukiddin

So I've been looking at the 300 blackout as a great suppressed plinking/<75yd hunting round. Seems awful quite! I'm a shotgun guy so i know very little on rifles.
Are there any other better options for a kid friendly subsonic "fun" round with options of subsonic factory ammo like the blackout has?
I've looked at the Ruger ranch, howa, savage and 700 but I'm leery of the modern day produced 700's. Only interested in bolt guns.

DaveB

How young we talking? Ever consider a downloaded 243 or 7mm08? Get one, add a can, shoot the "youth" loads.

That way the gun can grow with the kid.

My boys are 24 now, it was yesterday I took them to their first youth hunt. Quick is too slow to define how fast they outgrow stuff.

rukiddin

How young we talking? Ever consider a downloaded 243 or 7mm08? Get one, add a can, shoot the "youth" loads.

That way the gun can grow with the kid.

My boys are 24 now, it was yesterday I took them to their first youth hunt. Quick is too slow to define how fast they outgrow stuff.

well if we're being honest, I already have a 6mm Rem for her if/when she wants to hunt not to mention a 260 as well. This is mainly just a "fun" gun for me but I want something that if she wants to shoot, I can let her.

DaveB

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. I looked for 15 minutes and there are no none nada nyet nuttin available for 300 BO. Brass bullets primers powder, loaded ammo.

I did not check Starline web, mebbe them.

rukiddin

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. I looked for 15 minutes and there are no none nada nyet nuttin available for 300 BO. Brass bullets primers powder, loaded ammo.

I did not check Starline web, mebbe them.
You can buy it all day on GB. Allbeit, you'll pay but as with anything this day and age, if you want it bad enough, you'll buy it.

44 mag

I have a bolt gun in 300Blk (rem 700) and it is stupid quite suppressed with subs. My son hunts with it shooting supers. Luckily I stocked up when ammo was available. With that said he is shooting the 22 this summer.

I say go for it if you already have ammo or the ability to make ammo. Don't know I would buy one now if you were relying on factory ammo. I know it's available on gunbroker but I wouldn't want to pay them prices.

As for factory hunting ammo look at Gorilla's 205 grain sub. It is amazing stuff

rukiddin

I have a bolt gun in 300Blk (rem 700) and it is stupid quite suppressed with subs. My son hunts with it shooting supers. Luckily I stocked up when ammo was available. With that said he is shooting the 22 this summer.

I say go for it if you already have ammo or the ability to make ammo. Don't know I would buy one now if you were relying on factory ammo. I know it's available on gunbroker but I wouldn't want to pay them prices.

As for factory hunting ammo look at Gorilla's 205 grain sub. It is amazing stuff
How is your accuracy with 700??

44 mag

It is great now. I did have to send it back to Remington because it had the wrong twist barrel in it. It wouldn't group but about 6 inches at 100. I did a red neck check with a close pin and cleaning rod and found it had something close to a 1 in 10 vs the 1 in 7 that it was stamped. After getting it back it is consistently 1 in or less depending on ammo.

The only ammo I found it will not shoot is the 260 grain atomic. Just will not stabilize them.

Tiny

Before all this Crazy started several companies had 308 223 350 Legend Subsonic loads available n Hornady had released a 30/30.
Heck I been playing a bit with with the 190gr SubX Hornady n 220gr Subsonic Ballistic Tip in an 06 ..Almost got to try it out opening day but....Aghhhh.. Just a thought or 2..

mr.big

Not factory ammo but I load 223 with 69 smk and blue dot at 1025 fps that is really quiet even without a can and ahoots pretty dang tight at 100 yards

megalomaniac

A .308 is prob the most versatile cartridge considering both performance subsonic as well as supersonic. Just need to find a 1:7 twist to take full advantage of shooting the 220 to 240g bullets subsonic out of an 18 to 20in bbl... yet the same gun is capable out to 600y supersonic.

The 300blk is the perfect caliber for young kids hunting deer supersonic.. 125g NBT at 2300fps. No recoil, mild muzzle blast (eliminated with a can). But you can download a .308 to do the same thing.

Monk74

A friend of mine of over 30 years competition shoots. Basically he spends 90% of his paycheck on shooting supplies. He's spent countless hours in apprenticeship with gun makers across the southeast. Also he has been turning his own barrels for a while now. If you're looking to find just the right twist, he maybe able to help you.

Latest posts