Beech Lake Yellow Perch

4onaside

I was up at Parsons this afternoon and stopped by Beech Lake in Lexington with an ultra light and a mepps spinner and caught some 10" bass(a ball on ultra light tackle), some bluegill and green sunfish. The last fish that I caught was a surprise catch, a yellow perch! I've explored their migration of the past few years, down(or up) as the case may be,the Tennessee River into Pickwick and Kentucky Lake, but catching one in a thousand acre landlocked watershed lake right smackdab in the middle of west tennessee was totally unexpected. Have any of you West Tennessee guys caught, or ever heard of them being caught in Beech Lake? If anyone has ever stocked them there, I missed it.

4onaside

I had a box full of crickets today, and went back to the lake. The bluegill were biting so good, that I chose to ignore the quest of the perch. lol
I did check around and the bait shop guy said that there are a bunch in the lake, and started showing up about three years ago. I assume that the "stocking" was done by fishermen who had caught some elsewhere, logically Kentucky lake in this area. At any rate, the white bass are hitting good in the Tennessee river and the bluegills are also, at least in Beech Lake. And, Muzzleloader season opens saturday. So, I suppose that I will put any active search off for awhile. However, if anyone on here knows about this population or any others in West Tennessee, I would like to hear about them.

4onaside

Duke said:
How deep were you fishing?
Duke said:
How deep were you fishing?
Two feet. I didn't keep any, but these were great eating size, firm and lots of females. Not those old post spawn bulls, which look huge from the side, but have the thickness of a knife blade when you look at them from the top. lol

Crosshairy

Sounds like a blast. I haven't done much with the white bass since the spring - it seems like ages. Glad you "discovered" some yellow perch :)

4onaside

Crosshairy said:
Sounds like a blast. I haven't done much with the white bass since the spring - it seems like ages. Glad you "discovered" some yellow perch :)
Caught 23 stripes yesterday between morning and evening deer hunts. More fun than the deer hunting! These are not springtime large females, but they are big enough to give you a go on ultra light tackle. Don't know if I ever "talked" to you after your directions to the "spillway". Went there and caught nice bream, but it was in july, so no perch or stripes. Just skipjacks and bream. And, at least I have discovered a lake close to the house which I'm told has a good population of perch. I have caught the accidental and seen a picture, so the ball is in my court. Just for variety, because the biggest perch around, doesn't fight as hard as even a small white bass, and I can take you to some serious catching of those this afternoon. lol

4onaside

Crosshairy said:
Yeah, I'm a little jealous of the white bass access so close to home. If only the TN river was an hour and a half closer...
Do what I did, move out of shelby county and further to the east. There's some great outdoor stuff up this way. Come to think of it, there's some great outdoor stuff just about anywhere if we get out of our dens. When I lived in Memphis, I caught a ton of stripes below the Mississippi spillways, not to mention crappie and cats. I lived in Raleigh, and Arkabutla was about 55 miles, about the same distance to Sardis, and Enid(where I had my best white bass fishing) about 75 miles.

Latest posts