Beardless gobbler? UPDATE

deerfever

I've never seen a Jake without a visible beard, only mature gobblers . I don't think the rule saves any jakes.
Saved one Saturday as I pointed out, when I seen the white head I knew it was a male bird. If I had shot it , I would have found a Jake laying there. Since I waited to see a beard , Mr. Jake got a pass once I seen his 5 inch beard. Again I guess it helps if you don't want to shoot a Jake, that's up to each individual. Again I know there are mature gobblers with beard rot here and there and other ways to tell , the full fan and all but the rule just doesn't bother me. If they changed it to read differently It would not bother me either.

Last edited:

Southern Sportsman

MS has it right... 'adult gobbler'.. fan, spurs, or beard length. Only need 1 for it to be legal.
Agree 100%.
To be legal in TN, must have beard visible beyond the plumage to legally shoot.
I should clarify my position. This is the intent of the rule, and without a doubt, there are game wardens who would cite you for shooting a gobbler with a beard so short it's hidden by the plumage. But it's a stupid rule, it's poorly written, and I could beat the citation and draw attention to the stupidity of the rule in the process. But I'm a lawyer. I would enjoy going into court, holding up a short stubby beard, and asking if it is visible or invisible. If it could be seen in court, it is, by definition, a "visible beard." If you're not a lawyer, you might have to hire one or pay the citation so think about that before you pull the trigger. But if anyone shoots a bird matching this description in West TN, I'll represent you pro bono 😉

megalomaniac

Agree 100%.

I should clarify my position. This is the intent of the rule, and without a doubt, there are game wardens who would cite you for shooting a gobbler with a beard so short it's hidden by the plumage. But it's a stupid rule, it's poorly written, and I could beat the citation and draw attention to the stupidity of the rule in the process. But I'm a lawyer. I would enjoy going into court, holding up a short stubby beard, and asking if it is visible or invisible. If it could be seen in court, it is, by definition, a "visible beard." If you're not a lawyer, you might have to hire one or pay the citation so think about that before you pull the trigger. But if anyone shoots a bird matching this description in West TN, I'll represent you pro bono 😉
Great legal summation of how stupid TNs definition of a legal bird is.

In TN, harvest requirement is not based on age nor sex, just whether there is a 'visible beard' present or not. Male or female doesn't matter, juvenile or adult doesn't matter. The worst rule for flock management applies. Which was fine when we couldn't kill enough birds to affect the population a decade ago.... but its time to revisit that rule.

Like a prior poster said, if you cant tell the difference between an hen or a tom, or the difference between a jake and a tom; maybe you shouldn't be carrying a shotgun in the woods and shooting at God knows what and checking it as a legal bird after the fact.

deerfever

Great legal summation of how stupid TNs definition of a legal bird is.In TN, harvest requirement is not based on age nor sex, just whether there is a 'visible beard' present or not. Male or female doesn't matter, juvenile or adult doesn't matter. The worst rule for flock management applies. Which was fine when we couldn't kill enough birds to affect the population a decade ago.... but its time to revisit that rule.Like a prior poster said, if you cant tell the difference between an hen or a tom, or the difference between a jake and a tom; maybe you shouldn't be carrying a shotgun in the woods and shooting at God knows what and checking it as a legal bird after the fact.
I remember at one of the meetings they revisited the rule . The big reason they didn't change it if I remember correctly was the fear that people couldn't tell the difference ? They even mentioned Mississippi and the 6 inch beard. I would love for it to read male adult bird , that would save hens for sure and allow a full fan bird like in the picture to be taken. The situation I was in Saturday the bird was not strutting and at first all I seen was his head at 30 35 yards as it was a thick area. I would love to see it worded in a manner to save Jake's and hens but that's just me .

TNlandowner

Is this just a bad case of beard rot or could this be genetic? I have seen beard rot several times but not where I could not see a beard.
Had a mature Tom come in with 5 hens yesterday. This gobbler had a 9 or 10" beard, but only 1/2 of the beard remained after 4 or 5". The shortened beard area appeared bleached blond or brown. I let him walk on by.
I just read two articles indicating the problem of a Melanin vitamin deficiency and not actually beard rot.

Sorry for grainy cellphone pic...
20220411_095027.jpg

Last edited: