Beardless gobbler? UPDATE

Spurhunter

Is this a beardless gobbler or is it just hidden from the camera? This is the 2nd pic I have received that appears to be a gobbler with no beard.

20220405_135742.jpg

Last edited:

woodsman04

Definitely a mature gobbler based on his feathers, and don't look like he has a beard.

And I'd kill it if he came in gobbling and strutting where I was certain he was an adult. I don't worry about the "visible beard" rule. They say it's a safety thing, about making sure you identify a visible beard. But for instance Alabama has "gobblers only." Thats also a safety rule, and probably better than here.
If you can't tell the difference between gobbler and hen without a beard you ought to quit hunting. Not just turkey hunting, all hunting.

Spurhunter

But for instance Alabama has "gobblers only." That's also a safety rule, and probably better than here.
If you can't tell the difference between gobbler and hen without a beard you ought to quit hunting. Not just turkey hunting, all hunting.
I agree! MS also says "adult gobbler". A full fan should be just as good as a visible beard.

knightrider

Definitely a mature gobbler based on his feathers, and don't look like he has a beard.

And I'd kill it if he came in gobbling and strutting where I was certain he was an adult. I don't worry about the "visible beard" rule. They say it's a safety thing, about making sure you identify a visible beard. But for instance Alabama has "gobblers only." Thats also a safety rule, and probably better than here.
And you would be illegal if caught

megalomaniac

I posted this one a couple years ago, but my son shot this tom in full strut a couple minutes after legal shooting light. He was clearly an adult bird with a full fan, so I told him to shoot, and I never even thought to look for a beard. When we got to him, I thought he was beardless... but had one strand that hit 4in, the rest was rotted at the base. Almost an illegal bird.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220405-191150_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220405-191150_Gallery.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 75

Gravey

Could have beard rot so can't see it from that profile. I killed one a couple of years ago that gobbled his head off but when I saw him could see a shirt beard. He walked by and went to full strut and had a full fan so I put the binos on him. Saw his spurs (both over an inch) and called him back and killed him.

Southern Sportsman

The rule (stupid though it may be) says "visible beard." It doesn't say "beard that is visible beyond the plumage." I would bet you whatever the fine would be that he has beard stubble attached to his chest. If you kill him and clean him and he has a beard that you can then see, then he has a visible beard.

I hunted one a couple years ago that appeared beardless. I would have shot him without a second thought.

bvoss

The rule (stupid though it may be) says "visible beard." It doesn't say "beard that is visible beyond the plumage." I would bet you whatever the fine would be that he has beard stubble attached to his chest. If you kill him and clean him and he has a beard that you can then see, then he has a visible beard.

I hunted one a couple years ago that appeared beardless. I would have shot him without a second thought.
I killed one one time that came in over a rise, full fan, stuck his head up and i let him have it. He had 1 1/4" spurs and the beard was just a nub under the plumage as you say. Maybe an inch or so. Never even thought to check for a beard. First and only time i ever killed one with spurs longer than the beard!

knightrider

Thats visible beard to shoot it not ground check it 😂 kinda like most yahoos around here do with 2.5 inch spikes😂

megalomaniac

Thats visible beard to shoot it not ground check it 😂 kinda like most yahoos around here do with 2.5 inch spikes😂
I believe this is correct. To be legal in TN, must have beard visible beyond the plumage to legally shoot.

Stupid rule, one that should be changed.

MS has it right... 'adult gobbler'.. fan, spurs, or beard length. Only need 1 for it to be legal.

deerfever

I like the rule, probably saves a ton of Jake's that otherwise get shot in TN. I struck up a gobbler Saturday around lunchtime, he hammered first time I called. I moved into position and sit down. Directly I see a big white head coming, I get ready. Turkey jumps up on a log and I am struggling to see a beard. It's a big ole Jake and here comes his two buddies. I knew by his head he was a male bird but I always look for a beard as I do not want to shoot a Jake and the rule says it must have a visible beard. . That's just me and one reason I don't mind the rule at all.

Dennis

I've never seen a Jake without a visible beard, only mature gobblers . I don't think the rule saves any jakes.

Latest posts