Bearded Hens!

SJS

In 20+ years on our Farm we have never seen bearded hens before. My son shot one with a 2 inch beard and now I find a pic of another one with about a 6 inch beard. What's up with this?
246AB912-F745-4311-886A-E324CF0C7C72.jpeg

Attachments

• 9A602685-D70A-4327-9F02-00AAAA82EBD7.jpeg
    9A602685-D70A-4327-9F02-00AAAA82EBD7.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 162

Setterman

I see numerous bearded hens each year, they should never be killed especially with the current issues facing our flock. However TWRA in their infinite wisdom still allows it. Can't really judge a hunter for taking a legal bird, even if it is less poults as a result

megalomaniac

I've only seen 3 this year, despite 25 days afield. Way lower than my normal averages.

I do think TN has the worst definition of a legal bird... doesn't matter if it's an adult or juvenile, male or female... just a 3in beard and it's legal (making bearded hens legal, yet adult males with beard rot illegal)

scn

I've only seen 3 this year, despite 25 days afield. Way lower than my normal averages.

I do think TN has the worst definition of a legal bird... doesn't matter if it's an adult or juvenile, male or female... just a 3in beard and it's legal (making bearded hens legal, yet adult males with beard rot illegal)
I checked to make sure they hadn't changed something. There is no beard length requirement. It just says bearded bird. You may be thinking about the antler length limit.

I agree that bearded hens should not be legal.

Dennis

Where I used to hunt, about half the hens I saw had beards. I would never shoot one.

megalomaniac

I checked to make sure they hadn't changed something. There is no beard length requirement. It just says bearded bird. You may be thinking about the antler length limit.

I agree that bearded hens should not be legal.
you are right!, just 'visible' beard. I think I came up with the 3 inches in my head as that is ususally the beard length for it to obviously protrude past the thick layer of breast feathers.

The first turkey I ever took was a jake whose beard just barely protruded past the breast feathers. After I pulled the beard, I was surprised to find it was almost 3 inches long. I had no idea there was that much beard under the feathers at the time. (Still have that beard!)

Remington700

I have seen very few in areas I hunt. I have never shot one, but have seen others that have. I am sure the rules say bearded turkey just because a lot of people cannot differentiate between male and female. Much like Democrats in regular society.

REN

saw one wed on a farm that had like a 9inch beard lol. Ive never shot one personally and never understood the desire to do so just due to the lack of meat and it being a hen but to each his own I guess.

Huntaholic

NOBODY that hunts with me shoots the bearded ladies! I forbid it! Unlike some, I can remember when there weren't ANY turkeys within 50 miles of here. If we don't manage the resources ourselves then we have nobody to blame except ourselves when we no longer have birds to hunt.

Knothead

The man our hunt club leases land from asked that we not shoot bearded hens. He swears the bearded hens are the ones that lay the eggs that produce the multiple bearded Toms. Anyone ever heard that? Sounds like a wives tale to me, but he asked, so we comply. (I don't think any of us would shoot a bearded hen anyway—-whether he asked or not).

Carlos

I have seen very few in areas I hunt. I have never shot one, but have seen others that have. I am sure the rules say bearded turkey just because a lot of people cannot differentiate between male and female. Much like Democrats in regular society.
Exactly.

Carlos

NOBODY that hunts with me shoots the bearded ladies! I forbid it! Unlike some, I can remember when there weren't ANY turkeys within 50 miles of here. If we don't manage the resources ourselves then we have nobody to blame except ourselves when we no longer have birds to hunt.
Yes! I have to say anybody who even considers shooting a Hen, with the challenges Turkeys are facing today, doesn't have a clue about conservation.
(It's the ID -ten -tee factor coming out once again.)

Latest posts