Bear Hollow Mountain

losthunter

Bow season is usually void of people. Come rifle season, people everywhere on the weekends, during the week not as bad. I still go though. I usually get lucky and get a doe during bow season.

garnermtn

You're going to have to walk or maybe pack it in if you want to get away from the crowds. I grew up hunting around the tunnel in Cowan but it's next to impossible to access that area now. The good news is there are deer that have never seen a human so they aren't pressured. The bad news is you have to be in good shape to get to them

Carlos

You're going to have to walk or maybe pack it in if you want to get away from the crowds. I grew up hunting around the tunnel in Cowan but it's next to impossible to access that area now. The good news is there are deer that have never seen a human so they aren't pressured. The bad news is you have to be in good shape to get to them

That's interesting.
So I wonder if these deer that have never seen a human are more afraid or less afraid when they see one?

timberjack86

I know someone that has access to that area, not unusual for them to kill a big deer or two out of there.

Rackseeker

I will agree to one fact in this statement, you better be in good shape. I have been hunting this area for 40+years. Little to no deer, alot of hunters, sink holes you will fall into in the dark. There are all kind of creatures that will follow you in the dark and wait for you to fall asleep. Mountains so vast you are sure to get lost and no cell phone service to speak of in most places. I wouldn't recommend hunting around here. LoL.....

BamaWeeks07

Hahaha I love the advice. It's a small group of friends coming up for a hunting trip just to try something different. I won't even mind if I don't see a deer because the place looks so beautiful. Anyone ever tried accessing through the railroad tracks?

losthunter

I haven't. If it's your first time I would stick to the top of the mountain and it's numerous access points till you get a lay of the land. Watch for rattlesnakes, I've never seen a copperhead up there but I'm sure they are there. Rattlesnakes, I've encountered more than my fair share, I hate them with a passion.

BamaWeeks07

I haven't. If it's your first time I would stick to the top of the mountain and it's numerous access points till you get a lay of the land. Watch for rattlesnakes, I've never seen a copperhead up there but I'm sure they are there. Rattlesnakes, I've encountered more than my fair share, I hate them with a passion.
Appreciate it. It's a very tempting area from the topo map.

progelk

Bear Hollow Mountain WMA's northeast section can offer diverse hunting opportunities. It's essential to research the specific game species and terrain in that area, check local regulations, and consider recent hunting reports for the best insights before planning a hunt there.

garnermtn

The railroad tracks are private property of CSX but I've never seen them monitor it. The only thing I will add if you decide to do it is make sure you monitor the space on the side of the tracks and make sure you have plenty of room to get out of the way of a train

Rackseeker

The railroad tracks are private property of CSX but I've never seen them monitor it. The only thing I will add if you decide to do it is make sure you monitor the space on the side of the tracks and make sure you have plenty of room to get out of the way of a train
You are giving out some bad info. All access to Bear Hollow WMA is listed in the TWRA hunting guide marked in orange. All access routes should be marked. And if not you are treaspassing.

Last edited:

Bone_Chaser

I work for CSX railroad in the area. I wouldn't plan on using the tracks, we typically run a train through about every hour.
Within 15 feet or more depending on the right of way you are trespassing on private property.

Last edited:

Latest posts