Bear, Elk, No Deer. Help?

wardamn93

Getting desperate here. Originally from Alabama and this is my first season of deer (rifle) hunting in East TN so it has all been public land (Sundquist, New River and Royal Blue units and some TVA land). A couple weeks ago I walked up on a huge black bear. Yesterday and today I have been covered in elk (20 miles from where I was yesterday on the other side of 75). I know they aren't running as hard right now, but never seen a drought like this especially during "second phase". Maybe running into bear and elk is common around here, just not something I've ever experienced.

At this point, I'm not even worried about getting a trophy (of course it would be my preference), but mostly to pack the freezer. I am using my climber stand. I've tried all my usual "go-to's" on field edges, pinch points, etc. Side note, I do not have an atv, but I have a truck with 4x4.

Not looking to steal anyone's hot spots, just curious to know if anyone else has been dealing with the same. Maybe I'm just not used to having to work so hard for a deer up here Lol. Any advice is much appreciated in advance!

Team Browning

And that's why it's called "hunting" and not killing. I saw 8 deer in a field the other night at almost dark with cars driving by 50 feet away on the 2 lane road. I could hunt that field for a month and might not see a thing. You didn't mention how much scouting you were able to do so you sound like you're at the mercy of - set up in spots that look right but just might not be the spot for right now.

Good luck, op. They are there and you got to see some once in a lifetime things with the bear and the elk.

Shanman

As mentioned, welcome to East Tennessee deer hunting. Places you've mentioned above have some huge ridges and big timber, not to mention heavy pressure close to access roads and trails. Number one thing is to scout, scout, scout. Us the rest of this season to still hunt and scout for next season. Right now it's easy to find rubs, old scrapes, feeding sign, and trails that are being used. Go deeper in than the average Joe, focus on edges of the thick stuff, USE topos, LEARN about air currents and thermals. Hunting Public and Dan Infalt have many good youtube videos on air currents and thermals, also how to hunt them. The top of those hardwood ridges might look pretty and be full of night time rubs and scrapes, but the thick stuff down off over the leeward side of the ridge will hold the daytime deer. Will take you a few seasons to educate yourself but you'll figure it out and have more success.
Just my 2cents, good luck.

dr

I'm afraid that you may not find good deer hunting in areas with bear, and elk in TN. . I'm getting more bear on my property in Cumberland co. And , think they're killing fawns, and spooking deer. I've been told by guys that live in Fentress co. that once the bear, elk moved in deer hunting suffered. Might try another part of the state.

timberjack86

I'm afraid that you may not find good deer hunting in areas with bear, and elk in TN. . I'm getting more bear on my property in Cumberland co. And , think they're killing fawns, and spooking deer. I've been told by guys that live in Fentress co. that once the bear, elk moved in deer hunting suffered. Might try another part of the state.
Granted we don't have a lot of deer in Polk county but it's not uncommon for me to get deer and bear pictures minutes apart.

jlanecr500

We had an EHD breakout about 5 years ago here in the east. North of I-40 got hit hard and the upper elevations north of I-40 got hit even harder. I have a piece of private on the mountain beyond North Cumberland. I used to see deer every time I went. I've only seen 1 deer the past 4 years. I've seen some monster black bear though.
In the lower elevations, where I used to see deer nearly every time I went, I see one about every three hunts.

Incidental take on elk is not allowed in Anderson, Campbell, Claiborne, Scott and Morgan counties, BSFR, and Scott state forest. They are headed toward Roane County. In the next few years, they will be there. Then it will be game on.

Last edited:

larry ipock

I could not agree more. I live and hunt in Scott, and once the bears show up, you may not see a deer there the rest of the season, and certainly not for at least two or three weeks. And yes , I do believe they kill fawns. If a grizzly can catch and kill, elk, A black bear can and will kill deer.

dr

We had an EHD breakout about 5 years ago here in the east. North of I-40 got hit hard and the upper elevations north of I-40 got hit even harder. I have a piece of private on the mountain beyond North Cumberland. I used to see deer every time I went. I've only seen 1 deer the past 4 years. I've seen some monster black bear though.
In the lower elevations, where I used to see deer nearly every time I went, I see one about every three hunts.

Incidental take on elk is not allowed in Anderson, Campbell, Claiborne, Scott and Morgan counties, BSFR, and Scott state forest. They are headed toward Roane County. In the next few years, they will be there. Then it will be game on.
They are likely already in Roane Co. I know they are in Cumberland. About 10 years ago an elk was killed on the Oak Ridge deer hunt. And, a 6x6 bull with a tracking collar was killed in Cumberland.

Latest posts