Food Plots Beans.

Jcalder

Now that season is nearly over I want to get a head start on next seasons food plot. I changed my set up this time and had high traffic in late October till almost thanksgiving. Since then it's been a disappointment but the late start most of us got it came up and that's about it lol. This coming year I would like to do beans. Planning on bushhogging when it dries out before everything greens up and spraying. I don't have a drill and I'm not sure I can get one thru the gate so it'll all be broadcast. Most likely would plant in May/June to have a good stand before the velvet hunt. Around Labor Day when the beans start dying I plan on spreading wheat over the standing beans. Looking for advice and any tips anyone may have. If you done something similar I'd like to hear what works and what don't. What type of bean works best. I'm not a farmer and this will be strictly for deer. I plan on leaving the beans standing throughout the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADR

Re: Beans.

Group 5 or higher maturity
165,000 seeds/acre or higher
Don't use leftover from last year-germ rate will go way down

JCDEERMAN

How many acres will you plant? Got to make sure you have enough or they won't get more than a few inches high before being over-browsed.

Do you just plan on broadcasting over an area that's just been bushhogged or will the ground be worked with a disc or something? Got to have good seed-to-soil contact. If you can't disc, you may want to broadcast the bean seed, then bushhog.

If the beans get established good, broadcasting wheat into the standing beans is a good plan....do so when the bean leaves start to turn yellow. They will all fall right on top of your wheat seed and will help germination

Jcalder

I'm gonna plant roughly 2 acres. I don't think our deer population with decimate 2 acres but this is gonna be a learning curve for myself. I plan on starting the process this month of clearing the trees too big to bushhog and preppy the ground. I'm mostly on a hillside and it's way too wet to get the tractor on right now. I plan on disking before planting.

RobbyW

My brother farms 10K acres. This past spring they were so wet and it was getting late to get beans planted. They flew theirs on with crop dusters. So broadcasting will work.

That said there was nothing on the ground just dirt so they had good seed to soil contact.

Jcalder

RobbyW":2czawh0j said:
My brother farms 10K acres. This past spring they were so wet and it was getting late to get beans planted. They flew theirs on with crop dusters. So broadcasting will work.

That said there was nothing on the ground just dirt so they had good seed to soil contact.

I won't have to worry with standing water but I will have to worry with keeping the tractor on the hillside lol. I nearly messed up in my truck going in to retrieve a deer. I have a fourwheeler and sprayer and have debated on getting a spreader for the four wheeler instead of using a cone spreader. I can get in more hard to get places with that.

ADR

If it is on a hillside you may be better off doing minimal dirt prep. Beans will germinate almost as good as wheat. You can bush hog, a few weeks then spray. Wait a couple more weeks and do minimal disking and then broadcast before a rain event. My $0.02

If you do too much dirt work, you might have erosion problems from the sounds of it. Also try to disk horizontally not vertically.

Jcalder

7ad16d6cebc04159fae0facebd5f8baa.jpg
hard to see it in the picture but this is what I plan on planting. It gets steep in the left side in place or two and may not get planted.

ADR

Not trying to dissuade you but that looks like it may be better suited to be a clover plot. Beans may not have a chance if you have any deer population

Jcalder

ADR":8xaa13qq said:
Not trying to dissuade you but that looks like it may be better suited to be a clover plot. Beans may not have a chance if you have any deer population
i don't have much deer population. I can also plant quite a bit more than what's shown in the picture as well. If I'm underestimating the population I'll know to go a different route next time but I just don't see it.

PickettSFHunter

Beans.

I like to mimic a "power plant" like mix for a Spring planting.Basically look at the imperial power plant label and go from there. I've found I can plant as little as an acre, but of course we really don't have many deer at all over here.

Bushape

Looking at doing the same thing. Have a little over an acre plot right now in the middle of cutover but I am thinking of clearing more out to make it 2.5 acres. Regardless I will be putting an electric fence around it. Doing some research on Eagle seed soybeans. Love what they seem to offer as far as browse but from what I have read it seems that they may not put on as many pods as basic ag beans. Will probably do a mixture of the two.

TNTreeman

Bushape":11dscrva said:
Looking at doing the same thing. Have a little over an acre plot right now in the middle of cutover but I am thinking of clearing more out to make it 2.5 acres. Regardless I will be putting an electric fence around it. Doing some research on Eagle seed soybeans. Love what they seem to offer as far as browse but from what I have read it seems that they may not put on as many pods as basic ag beans. Will probably do a mixture of the two.
I believe Eagle are what I planted for several years. It's a foliage bean and was great for me.

lapuafan

ADR":32w7u75d said:
Group 5 or higher maturity
165,000 seeds/acre or higher
Don't use leftover from last year-germ rate will go way down
I have used dekalb seed for 15 years, including eagle, store what I don't plant in a sealed plastic container. So I don't think you have to disquard seed you don't use every year. I have used up to 5 years before replacing. But at 85 a bag for round up ready I woukd make it count.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lapuafan

Jcalder":14ezdag1 said:
I'm gonna plant roughly 2 acres. I don't think our deer population with decimate 2 acres but this is gonna be a learning curve for myself. I plan on starting the process this month of clearing the trees too big to bushhog and preppy the ground. I'm mostly on a hillside and it's way too wet to get the tractor on right now. I plan on disking before planting.

You let they no food be around and and a heavy temp drop you will be surprised. Right now is when everyone needs to be feeding to help them get through these hard 3 to 4 months. I always leave standing beans corn, plus plant them some greens like turnips, radish, sweetbeats , and watermelon radishes.

Jcalder

lapuafan":fygh1ljw said:
Jcalder":fygh1ljw said:

You let they no food be around and and a heavy temp drop you will be surprised. Right now is when everyone needs to be feeding to help them get through these hard 3 to 4 months. I always leave standing beans corn, plus plant them some greens like turnips, radish, sweetbeats , and watermelon radishes.

I have wheat and oats planted right now but according to my cameras they just are using it much. I do think getting such a late start has really hurt it as it didn't have much time to grow. It's maybe 4-6 inches tall. Last year it was probably twice as big.

lapuafan

Jcalder":2upqbmob said:
lapuafan":2upqbmob said:
Jcalder":2upqbmob said:

I have wheat and oats planted right now but according to my cameras they just are using it much. I do think getting such a late start has really hurt it as it didn't have much time to grow. It's maybe 4-6 inches tall. Last year it was probably twice as big.

Find you piece of rabbit wire, or woven about 3 to 4 ft tall make a circle take rod drive n ground good attach to rod this way deer cannot eat it, and this will give you a better field of view. Greens usually grow good with very lil fertility. But a good soil sample helps alot. I have had wheat they never touch it until we had several frost on it, then they will wear it out, but every deer is different . Just like salt licks, 1 farm I have love the deer cane, other farm will not touch.

Jcalder

lapuafan":rxd46gfk said:
Jcalder":rxd46gfk said:
lapuafan":rxd46gfk said:
Jcalder said:

Find you piece of rabbit wire, or woven about 3 to 4 ft tall make a circle take rod drive n ground good attach to rod this way deer cannot eat it, and this will give you a better field of view. Greens usually grow good with very lil fertility. But a good soil sample helps alot. I have had wheat they never touch it until we had several frost on it, then they will wear it out, but every deer is different . Just like salt licks, 1 farm I have love the deer cane, other farm will not touch.

I've got cage in the middle of the food plot now. There's no noticeable difference in height between the cage and rest of the field. The deer were pretty active in the plot in locate October thru around thanksgivings but have really slowed on their activity. My picture above should have the cage in it.

Latest posts