Food Plots Winter wheat in beans?

JAY B

I have a couple stands set up on a soybean field for ml/gun season, beans probably won't be cut till December looks like , they are completely brown now and I was thinking of running a couple of 100yard long by 10 yard wide strips of winter wheat in the beans between each stand and the thicket on opposite side of field. Anyone ever tried this to get some green in amongst the beans before the beans are cut and a full cover crop is sowed?

hard county

I have a buddy that does it every year. Works well.
JAY B":3m0ffhtt said:
I have a couple stands set up on a soybean field for ml/gun season, beans probably won't be cut till December looks like , they are completely brown now and I was thinking of running a couple of 100yard long by 10 yard wide strips of winter wheat in the beans between each stand and the thicket on opposite side of field. Anyone ever tried this to get some green in amongst the beans before the beans are cut and a full cover crop is sowed?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Southern Sportsman

I also have a buddy who plants wheat in beans every year. He waits until they start to yellow to spread it so that the leaves drop, covering the seed which helps with germination. But you can do it after they brown. Spread ahead of a rain and it will be green in no time.

Grnwing

Its a great combination having the high protein pods still on the soybeans with the fresh wheat coming up. I over-seed my beans every year around the middle of October before a good rain. For the price of a bag of wheat, its hard to go wrong with doing it.

Latest posts