Food Plots Beans and Peas

DoubleRidge

Soybeans and Iron Clay Cowpeas that were broadcast 15 days ago....checked on them this afternoon for first time and was glad to see the frost didn't get them.... history of these two new plots (former log loading decks) are in Quality Deer Management section....just thought I'd post a pic in Food Plot section for the "food plotters"....first time we've done the beans & peas blend....so far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_20200517_120023943~2.jpg
    IMG_20200517_120023943~2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,634

JCDEERMAN

That is great! Such a good sight to see!

We did a lot of work this weekend. Got all the fields sprayed Friday. Saturday morning, went into Dickson Co-op and got 2100 lbs of fertilizer per soil test recommendations. Spread it all with one tractor while the other tractor drilled soybeans - 10 acres total. Got it all done by Saturday evening in time for our crawfish boil. Great weekend! Hope to have some pics that look as good as yours in a couple weeks.

DoubleRidge

Totally agree.....it was great to see that the frost didn't damage the young growth....was also happy with the coverage.....being we broadcast the seed I was worried about even coverage but it actually turned out better than expected.

Looks like the forecast of warm temps and light rain timed out perfectly for your planting! Look forward to seeing pics as your plots progress!

JCDEERMAN

Got a chance to get to our place Saturday. I was very pleased with our spray, then drill the following day method. Also didn't see any browse pressure.....yet. Hoping they don't figure out what they are for a while. I put out 4 seclusion cages in different fields to determine browse pressure.

xoA2ZCQ.jpg

bpZ7R1y.jpg

1PZj8TC.jpg

HHAERCJ.jpg

DoubleRidge

Good deal!! .....looking good!!

I wanted to check on ours this past weekend but got tied up.....hoping to make it one afternoon this week.

I need to set up seclusion cages...hadn't done that yet.

DoubleRidge

Made it this afternoon to check on the two new plots. So far so good. Certain areas are thicker than others but overall I'm pleased. One end of one plot has some grass encroaching but not too bad. Also some evidence of browse but so far they are not hammering it.....still need to add seclusion cages.

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_173046803~2.jpg
    IMG_20200604_173046803~2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,325

DoubleRidge

Another pic from this afternoon.....the sunflower we blended in with beans & peas have come up as well...hoping the beans and peas will trellis up sunflowers....guess we'll see.

Attachments

• IMG_20200604_173018492~2.jpg
    IMG_20200604_173018492~2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 1,327

JCDEERMAN

Looking great! I'll be interested to see how well those do with the sunflowers mixed in. I was thinking about adding sunflowers in with the soybeans next spring.

Yours were planted exactly 2 weeks before ours, so if ours looks like yours in another week or so, I will be a happy man!

JCDEERMAN

How are your plots looking DR? I went by our place Sunday and worked for several hours. Took a couple pics of our best plot. The deer have definitely found the smaller plots and they were getting hammered. My knee cap is right at the top of these boots. Just hope they make it until at least the velvet hunt. This is my first time planting beans - they are a great weed suppressor!

Fss44Kk.jpg

U9mesoj.jpg

DoubleRidge

JCDEERMAN":1hy2irqi said:
How are your plots looking DR? I went by our place Sunday and worked for several hours. Took a couple pics of our best plot. The deer have definitely found the smaller plots and they were getting hammered. My knee cap is right at the top of these boots. Just hope they make it until at least the velvet hunt. This is my first time planting beans - they are a great weed suppressor!

Fss44Kk.jpg

U9mesoj.jpg

Nice!! Looking good!!.....I hadn't made it back down there but hope to this week....Last week a buddy of mine checked on them and said the smaller 2 acre plot was getting hit pretty hard but still showing some new growth.....the 3 acre plot is little taller and thicker....I'll get some new pics next time I'm there.

DoubleRidge

Work has been crazy which has prevented me from checking on the plots but a buddy of mine stopped by and took the attached pic.....New plot-1 is getting hit pretty hard....beans and peas are hanging in there but plenty of evidence their getting browsed....many of the sunflower are stripped clean....New plot-2 pictured isn't getting hit as hard (it's larger in size) .....tallest beans and peas are around 24" and starting to vine or climb... sunflower in some parts of the plot are looking good with some being stripped to the stalk....being the first year either of these plots have ever been planted we're pleased...some weeds but not too bad..... little behind getting cameras out but hope to do that this weekend...I'll try to get some more plot pics then.

Attachments

• 62395~2.jpeg
    62395~2.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 847

JCDEERMAN

Looks great, DR. I'd like to add some sunflowers in with the beans next year. Hopefully to get some doves in there. I plan on going to our place over the weekend to check out the beans and will update. I don't think we have had much rain there at all the last 2 weeks, so I hope they aren't struggling too bad.

DoubleRidge

Thanks guys, appreciate it...I finally made it back out to the property yesterday.....got the trail cameras set up and got a better look at the new plot-1....as mentioned in previous post....all the sunflower are stripped clean and there's more evidence of deer browsing in plot-1 than plot-2.... following pics are not great due to bright sunlight but towards the middle of the picture you can see a white looking thinner spot or two....this is where the timber company had their equipment parked and the ground is covered with a deep layer of wood chips...the seed germinated in these areas but they are not growing much....other areas of plot are doing ok...I will say this....I know it's hard to tell in the picture, but this plot is near ridge top and the soil quality is less than optimum....and it looks like the iron clay cow peas are doing a little better than the soybeans.

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_110928711~2.jpg
    IMG_20200711_110928711~2.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 755

DoubleRidge

Another pic of the new plot-1....with bright sun it was hard to get a good picture....oh...and when I went by the plot on tractor I flushed 8 dove from the plot...also noticed where turkeys had been dusting in edge of plot....then later while on tractor working in another area I saw one mama doe with twin fawns....it's nice to see the wildlife benefit from and use the habitat improvements.

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_112014368~2.jpg
    IMG_20200711_112014368~2.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 753

JCDEERMAN

Looks great DR - I always love to see critters utilizing an area I have worked.

Most of ours have been hit hard too. Yours look to have done a little better than ours at suppressing weeds.There are quite a few weeds in ours, as you can see in the plot below. Still a bunch of soybeans - plenty of food to get them through until fall planting. The plan was to drill right through the beans, but we may need to spray. With RR soybeans, can you spray them at maturity without killing them, or is that at just in their younger age?

k4A3aqb.jpg

p19RFsO.jpg

OOviNAD.jpg

DoubleRidge

Looking good.....allot of food in that picture!! Not sure on the RR spray? (Early vs. more mature?).....and grass has only been an issue in one end of one plot....it's encroaching pretty strong....But we have a variety of other weeds! Lol!...and with our beans and peas not being RR all we can do is let it go.....we are planning on broadcasting a fall planting into the beans.... curious to see how that does......got five other areas that we bushog last weekend....once they green back up I'm considering spraying them then doing the throw-n-mow oats, rye and radishes.....bush hogged several other strips I'm just going to let the natural vegetation grow back in.

Latest posts