Bass boat advice

breaker19sK

You guys have some awesome input and I really appreciate the responses....now if you guys could could just make me a better fisherman

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

ZachMarkus

A guy I know just bought a 2017 19ft bass tracker tournament edition with a 150 mercury 4 stroke motor on it and asked me to take it out with him for the first time and all I can say is wow. It handled rough water just as well as most fiberglass boats I've been in. It also had a ton of storage and fished very comfortably. I would highly recommend that boat to anyone looking to buy a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KENBOB10

I've got a twenty foot G3 with a 200 HPDI on it. They don't make this boat anymore, but they do make a 18 foot that is compairable. Ruger has fished in mine, he can vouch for the G3s.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
KENBOB10":3kedbxlp said:
I've got a twenty foot G3 with a 200 HPDI on it. They don't make this boat anymore, but they do make a 18 foot that is compairable. Ruger has fished in mine, he can vouch for the G3s.

That ain't a boat.
That is a water rocket! :shock: :super:

Mudbone

WTM":m65d97wb said:
Spurhunter":m65d97wb said:
breaker19sK":m65d97wb said:
One more question, I've noticed a lot of the 18ft aluminum boats with 40 or 50 lb thrust bow mounts. Is that too little motor?

I have a 17.5 foot Triton Magnum with a 115. I run a MinnKota 12 volt 55 pound thrust and it is all I need. However, I don't fish rivers with lots of current. I would definitely NOT go below 50 pounds of thrust on a 17-18 foot aluminum, and 75+ pounds wouldn't hurt if you fish in some current.

geez a 115 on a 17.5 ft. i bet you run 55 mph or better?
Hahaaa!! Y'all would crack up if you seen my old boat. I had a 16' hydra sport well, 15'8, with an inline merc 150 hung on it: that sob would fly!!! I could flip it end over if I tried. Sold it to big j a few years back. It was dangerous fast!!

To the op, I had a 18' tournament pro tracker with a 90 on it. It was outfitted like a bass boat. It was fine in rough water but would blow around worse than a glass boat. Would run around 52 or so. Great boat and I miss it.

breaker19sK

I'm seriously tempted to save up for a larger down payment and go 19 ft like zachmarkus was talking about...until my old lady says no anyway ....don't crush my dreams boys

JimFromTN

My friend's 19 ft alumacraft has a 150hp on it and is rated for a 200hp. I have read were these boats will go 85 to 90 mph with the 200 hp. First time we took it out, my friend left his tackle box on the front deck. This was a large tackle box. He gunned it and both our heads snapped back. Within a few seconds that tackle box lifted up and flew over his head and exploded on the water behind us. Luckily, most of his tackle was in smaller boxes that were floating and we were able to recover. Those aluminum boats with the large engines are dangerously fast.

WTM

ZachMarkus":2xkolh3l said:
A guy I know just bought a 2017 19ft bass tracker tournament edition with a 150 mercury 4 stroke motor on it and asked me to take it out with him for the first time and all I can say is wow. It handled rough water just as well as most fiberglass boats I've been in. It also had a ton of storage and fished very comfortably. I would highly recommend that boat to anyone looking to buy a new one.

yep that boat is in an entirely different class than the other trackers. my wife tried to talk me into that boat but i didnt feel i needed it. i wish i had now. on south KY lake the 175 is fine but on north KY lake the 190 would be a bit better.

Mike Belt

My 17.5 Tracker has a 75 hp motor and gets me there fast enough. I guess I just don't have the driving desire for top speeds and as it is, I generally beat the fish to the spot I'm fishing or they've already moved out. :roll:

Snowwolfe

Dont just limit yourself to a "bass boat" design. Take a look at the numerous semi v's on the market as well. They ride very smooth and can fish rough water. Yamaha has their line and many companies build them as well as Tracker, Ranger, Aumacraft, etc.
We bought a semi V when we moved here and wife and I couldnt be happier. We like the idea of being in the boat when we fish instead of being on it.

I went with the largest HP motor the hull was rated for. We have the speed when we need it and the ability to cruise at 30 mph at 3-3,500 rpms when not in a hurry to maximize fuel consumption and be easier on the motor.

Paul Burns

I in 1980 I bought a Procraft 15 1/2 ft 1980 model with a 1978 Eve 140 hp motor. The boat is not rated for this size motor but it was a great deal at the time and was the same weight as the 85 hp I was looking for. It will still get squrrily if you are light loaded and not knowing what you are doing. After 37 years there a lots of boats I would liked to have bought but it still runs good and has enough umph to pull a skier good.
Just an old man remembering some good times.

breaker19sK

You guys provided some great suggestions and they're appreciated. I ended up with an older procraft. It's a 1996 super pro 200 20ft with a 200 efi mariner. Boat is in great shape and motor runs well. The 107 lb thrust up front runs well. Boat needed carpet and I never dreamed it'd be that big of a job but I'm getting there slowly with the help of my son and my old lady.

catman529

The only reason I would ever get a fiberglass boat is because nothing rides smoother. Other than that, aluminum does everything I need, I'd go with a V hull if you get aluminum, it cuts the waves a lot better than a tracker semi-V

JimFromTN

breaker19sK":1isjmgci said:
You guys provided some great suggestions and they're appreciated. I ended up with an older procraft. It's a 1996 super pro 200 20ft with a 200 efi mariner. Boat is in great shape and motor runs well. The 107 lb thrust up front runs well. Boat needed carpet and I never dreamed it'd be that big of a job but I'm getting there slowly with the help of my son and my old lady.

Great choice. Those procraft super pro's are great boats and so are the mariners. Keep it covered or even better under cover and don't rag the engine and that boat will last a lifetime.

breaker19sK

JimFromTN, that's good to hear, I'm hoping for many years of service from it

JimFromTN

One way you can tell how popular they are is by the fact that you hardly ever see them for sale. No one wants to let them go.