Bass boat advice

breaker19sK

Recently I've become addicted to fishing. Particularly the largemouth bass variety. And so has my teenage son. I have an older fiberglass bayliner ski that we've been fishing from recently but I'm thinking of taking the bass boat leap. I'm really fond of the 17 or 18 ft aluminum hull trackers. What are the pros and cons of aluminum versus fiberglass?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

SilverFox

Pros
A lot easier to load and unload by yourself. If you bump into something like the dock or a tree while fishing it's really no big deal. Cheaper. Floats shallower usually. Easier to pull down the road. Fits in more garages.

Con's
Slower. Harder to fish in the wind. Less likely to make long runs. Less storage usually. Rougher ride. Wood floors and decks.

There are a ton of both good and bad. If it helps, I've had both. If I wasn't planning on fishing bigger lakes I'd have an aluminum. I have given a lot of thought to selling my glass boat and downsizing to another aluminum in the 18-19 foot range. The tracker boats are priced well and they have a lot of happy owners. I've never had one but would in a minute. I looked at one of the 190 models not long ago.

Spurhunter

Generally speaking:
Aluminum boats are cheaper, lighter, burn less fuel, and can be towed with a smaller vehicle.
Fiberglass boats are faster, handle rough water better, and don't blow around in the wind as much.

breaker19sK

Thanks guys, I had only considered the lighter and less prone to mortal damage from stumps etc. I also pull with an older nissan pathfinder so weight is a consideration. At 3500 # capacity I can see a 21 ft glass boat engine trailer and gear eating that up quick. One more question, I've noticed a lot of the 18ft aluminum boats with 40 or 50 lb thrust bow mounts. Is that too little motor?

breaker19sK

SilverFox":37m6ls7r said:
I had a 24volt 75 on mine. If you're in the river, you'll need it.
Ok, I appreciate the guidance guys.

JimFromTN

I currently own both. They both have their pro's. The major con that I have for aluminum boats is that they don't handle big water well at all. I have a friend with a 19 ft alumacraft and there are days in the spring that we don't get out of the bay we launched in if the main channel has many white caps on it.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I love my 1985 tracker guide v 16.
If I bought a new boat tomorrow it would be a new one just like it.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

WTM

my wife bought me a 2014 proteam 175 in 2015. it was a clearance item, around June, in 2015. got about 1k or so off dealer price around 14,900 if i remember. i got the basic package with a lowrance elite 4" depth finder and a 12v 55 minkota, 60hp 4 stroke mercury. probably the smoothest riding aluminum ive had and by myself i can run between 38 and 40 mph. wind can be a problem around 10mph or so. ive had no problems with the 55 trolling motor on KY lake. there were some bad reviews on trackers hull problems but i havent had any problems but i dont take stupid chances either. i can fish all day long in 18" of water. that diamond coat finish is slicker than owl poop and one word of advise, DO NOT UNHOOK IT UNTIL IT IS OVER WATER , or you will be chasing it down the ramp.

one upgrade that i wish i had gotten is a terrova with gps. that spotlock feature would come in very handy.

a couple guys at work bought the new G3 and xpress boats. with a 90hp on the G3 he said he can run 41 mph wide open which is not much more than my 60 hp but i get a lot more mileage per tank than he does. both of those looks to be better built than the trackers but they were like $23k for either, but i believe he upgraded to the 24v ulterra and better deph finders.

if you are around new johnsonville side of KY lake you can go out with me and drive mine if you like.

Spurhunter

breaker19sK":u8r0075c said:
One more question, I've noticed a lot of the 18ft aluminum boats with 40 or 50 lb thrust bow mounts. Is that too little motor?

I have a 17.5 foot Triton Magnum with a 115. I run a MinnKota 12 volt 55 pound thrust and it is all I need. However, I don't fish rivers with lots of current. I would definitely NOT go below 50 pounds of thrust on a 17-18 foot aluminum, and 75+ pounds wouldn't hurt if you fish in some current.

WTM

Spurhunter":7u7x779r said:
breaker19sK":7u7x779r said:
One more question, I've noticed a lot of the 18ft aluminum boats with 40 or 50 lb thrust bow mounts. Is that too little motor?

I have a 17.5 foot Triton Magnum with a 115. I run a MinnKota 12 volt 55 pound thrust and it is all I need. However, I don't fish rivers with lots of current. I would definitely NOT go below 50 pounds of thrust on a 17-18 foot aluminum, and 75+ pounds wouldn't hurt if you fish in some current.

geez a 115 on a 17.5 ft. i bet you run 55 mph or better?

breaker19sK

WTM":1mp40o85 said:
my wife bought me a 2014 proteam 175 in 2015. it was a clearance item, around June, in 2015. got about 1k or so off dealer price around 14,900 if i remember. i got the basic package with a lowrance elite 4" depth finder and a 12v 55 minkota, 60hp 4 stroke mercury. probably the smoothest riding aluminum ive had and by myself i can run between 38 and 40 mph. wind can be a problem around 10mph or so. ive had no problems with the 55 trolling motor on KY lake. there were some bad reviews on trackers hull problems but i havent had any problems but i dont take stupid chances either. i can fish all day long in 18" of water. that diamond coat finish is slicker than owl poop and one word of advise, DO NOT UNHOOK IT UNTIL IT IS OVER WATER , or you will be chasing it down the ramp.

one upgrade that i wish i had gotten is a terrova with gps. that spotlock feature would come in very handy.

a couple guys at work bought the new G3 and xpress boats. with a 90hp on the G3 he said he can run 41 mph wide open which is not much more than my 60 hp but i get a lot more mileage per tank than he does. both of those looks to be better built than the trackers but they were like $23k for either, but i believe he upgraded to the 24v ulterra and better deph finders.

if you are around new johnsonville side of KY lake you can go out with me and drive mine if you like.
WTM, I really appreciate that. It seems like the guys who own the aluminum boats are fond of them. I made a deal with my old lady that if she signs off on the boat, then I'll do the kitchen remodel she's been after...well, someone else will do the kitchen remodel and I'll help pay for it.

breaker19sK

The stability of the boat is another question I have. I'm sure a boats stability is subjective, but I have little to compare too other than a 12 ft Jon boat (which was fine if I didn't breath too heavy) and my 16 ft open bow ski. I have no qualms about the stability of the ski boat. But I also realize I may be comparing apples to oranges. At 6'2 250 pounds and at least two joints that remind me every day to contribute more to my 401k, I'm not the most nimble fellow. What's the groups opinion on stability?

Spurhunter

WTM":2wu69k05 said:
geez a 115 on a 17.5 ft. i bet you run 55 mph or better?

My best run with 2 people loaded for fishing was 55.1 mph in cool water. It will run 53-54 most anytime. I've got a 6" jackplate and I tested quite a few props. It's rated for a 125. Wish I had those 10 extra horses. [emoji1]

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
breaker19sK":3cn1bwe3 said:
The stability of the boat is another question I have. I'm sure a boats stability is subjective, but I have little to compare too other than a 12 ft Jon boat (which was fine if I didn't breath too heavy) and my 16 ft open bow ski. I have no qualms about the stability of the ski boat. But I also realize I may be comparing apples to oranges. At 6'2 250 pounds and at least two joints that remind me every day to contribute more to my 401k, I'm not the most nimble fellow. What's the groups opinion on stability?

I was worried about the rocking of a v bottom and a friend that owned one just like mine assured me it was fine.
I walk around the outside edges of mine all the time.
Very stable.
Cbu has been it and at 200+ and 250 it took the weight fine.

breaker19sK

RUGER":1d7nd99x said:
breaker19sK":1d7nd99x said:

I was worried about the rocking of a v bottom and a friend that owned one just like mine assured me it was fine.
I walk around the outside edges of mine all the time.
Very stable.
Cbu has been it and at 200+ and 250 it took the weight fine.

I appreciate the heads up. I'm leaning heavily (no pun intended) toward the tracker/aluminum. Seems to be quite a few used trackers floating around for relatively good prices.

WTM

im 6' and 250lbs(not fat lol) and i have no problems. i have a jacked up spine and neck injuries and needed a smooth riding boat and sometimes i get dizzy from sinus and inner ear. so far no complaints.

yeah you should be able to find a good priced used tracker, bought new their resale value is less than a G3 or Xpress.

SilverFox

I had a Lowe 17HP model aluminum with a 90 Optimax and a Triton 17 with a 50 or 60? Don't remember right now. I was 6'4 around 270 or 280 then and didn't have a problem. I had the Lowe after I screwed my back up and my balance was crap. Still didn't have a problem. I will say the 75lb trolling motor would throw you out the boat if you had it turned up fast and didn't have it pointed straight when you pushed the go button. I fished the French Broad and heavy current from time to time and it was great there. On the lake you would never need that much power. I'd at least get a 55 for the lake... when they start busting on the point and you're in the back of the cove you want to get there in a hurry.

jard

I've owned both and have no complaints. Both have pros and cons that have been listed here. I'm a big dude at 6'6" 300 lbs and my issue with aluminum is that it rocks heavily in water when you stand on one side and it drives me nuts to have stuff slide around the boat back and forth. Fiberglass is heavy and will sit much more stable in the water and doesnt rock near as much when you walk around.

However, aluminum is much cheaper to repair and usually sits much shallower in the water. If you fish more rivers and shallow water, I like aluminum. More open water or bigger lakes, I go fiberglass.

Headhunter

I would go with most any aluminum but a tracker. IMO, they are very unstable and the overall quality does not compare to a triton, ranger, g3, etc.

2 things I want in a boat are for the motor to be all the boat will hold and all the trolling motor you can put on one which usually is limited only by batteries. You can for sure not have enough trolling motor but you will never have to much.

Latest posts