Basics to getting started with taxidermy

Shed Hunter

As some of you know, I am set on becoming a taxidermist as a career. For many reasons it is the perfect career for me. This isn't just for me though of course. I think it'd be a great idea to have this thread for anyone wanting to get into taxidermy. Feel free to add anything and everyrhing to this thread.

Here are a few basic questions to start:
-What are the basic things I will need to start out?
-How are taxes handled in taxidermy? Are you charging sales tax and are you paying taxes on what you make?
-If I don't have a tumbler yet, is there a process I can do to immitate the effects of a tumbler or can I just work around not having one for now?

For the things I'll need for my first I can think of
-cape (I am mounting a deer for a buddy that doesn't have a cape)
-form
-eyes
-ear liners
-ruffer brush
-modeling tool
-pins
-taxidermy stand
-air brush
-paint
-needle and thread
-fiber glass molding (assuming this is needed to fill gaps in skull and form?)
-clay
-what about glues and things of that sort? I know I'll need a tub of hide paste, but are there other glues needed?

AT Hiker

I will help answer some of these questions but each person has their own methods.

First thing, have you taken a class or studied any manuals, watched DVDs? Rick Carters A to Z whitetail is a great start, but its very very novice.

Why do you think you need a tumbler? Talking deer capes here, you can simply spin them in a washer or do like I do and towel dry them. I work with commercially tanned capes so its no rush to get them mounted. A tumbler is large and pricey. I have never used one nor have I needed one.

Taxes are not collected on a service. So when you do your taxes at the end of the year you will be paying a lot! Think "tax" idermy, its not just moving skin around. You will have to pay SS, etc. You will have your business expenses that are deductions but after you complete your taxes you will realize real quick how little you are making.

You didn't list a fleshing machine, fleshing beam, scalpel, fleshing cone, skife, ear openers. These are all important parts needed for skin prep. A thin skin is very important, the eyes, nose and lips need to be properly thinned so shrinkages are not a big concern.
One of the best hide paste to hit the market is Pro One but a lot of guys swear by Roman 555 ( i think thats the brand and it can be bought at paint stores, do research on it before you take my word).

You will need reference pics, lots of them. Study them and learn deer anatomy.

Sandpaper, level, measuring tape, windex, q-tips and flat head screw driver should be added to your list as well. You will use them just about every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shed Hunter

Thanks AT

I actually am not 100% sure what a tumbler does. I just know most taxidermists have them. If I don't need it then that's good lol They appear to be fairly expensive.

I've watched the videos by Mark Anthony on youtube. His video series leaves out the tanning and fleshing steps as he was using a hide that was already tanned. I'm going to tan my own, but for now I'm just trying to get things rounded up so I can mount the deer my buddy wants done this summer. I also worked out a deal with my taxidermist and he is going to show me a few things which is awesome as he does a very good job.

AT Hiker

If you can work under him that will be your best time spent likely.
Good luck and enjoy it, I know I do! You will also never look at a deer the same again. You will start to notice their body features and less of their rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tennessee Lead

If you are seriously considering mounting more in time I would suggest a pressure washer of 3200 psi or greater with a rotating head. It will save you much time fleshing hides.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

TX300mag

Shed, I have the A to Z videos you can borrow. I can bring them to you next month if you're not starting before then. I definitely wouldn't start without watching it-I think it's a must have for somebody new like us.

Shed Hunter

TX300mag":2ckfravc said:
Shed, I have the A to Z videos you can borrow. I can bring them to you next month if you're not starting before then. I definitely wouldn't start without watching it-I think it's a must have for somebody new like us.

Thanks TX. Just let me know when you're up and we'll meet up some time.

rdl65

Taxidermy, just like anything else you perceive as a fun and interesting career, will soon become just a job.

I took taxidermy classes for a little over a year and thought I would like to make it a career. While still doing my regular job, I started my second career. Within two years I had so much taxidermy work it became clear I had to choose one or the other. I stopped taking any new clients and just concentrated on doing work for past clients. At this point the new and interesting part had worn off and it was just a second job. Coming home after working a ten hour day to a couple of thawed out deer heads soon got old.

My take on a Taxidermy career, if you do good work and pay attention to detail, you will be covered up. YMMV

Latest posts