Basic redfish flats flies

7mm08

I sent them an email about how heavy a fly to cast for practice and what distance I should try to get good at and he sent this;

8wt likely
Just put a small price of yarn on the end of the leader for practice casting
With 40ft in a few false casts you can catch and fish that swims
Cut the hook off a fly and cast it ……

wildside

Long cast are overrated…… avoid being the guy that false cast 6-10 times.

BTW. MY buddy caught a 170# tarpon with a TEN foot cast! The guide ( Shallow Water Anglers) thought it was a dolphin at first it was so big
I am a casting instructor/ guide and I try telling people this all the time! I have clients who want to learn to cast 70+ feet. casting accurately and setting the hook is a nightmare...especially under pressure

scn

So, back to the flies. Kinda anything that is the right size and close on color that suggests what they eat, sorta like a stimulator in the trout world?
The bottom line is that in LA and MS the fly is the least of your worries. If you put one in the right place, more than likely it is going to get eaten. If you are in Florida, they can be a little pickier. Downsize the fly a little and no rattles.

Save your worries for high winds, cloud cover where you can't see the fish, storms that dirty up the water, etc.

Last edited:

7mm08

So, back to the flies. Kinda anything that is the right size and close on color that suggests what they eat, sorta like a stimulator in the trout world?
Redfish are opportunistic eaters…. They eat everything. 90% of the time summer and fall they are eating mostly fiddler crabs in SC. ON a beach it would be different so stick to shrimp, crabs, and baitfish.

Setterman

I'd love to be able to offer advice on redfish. I've caught them but haven't spent a ton of time pursuing reds. Others in here are far more experienced like @7mm08 and @scn or @Pilchard

If you get to chasing bonefish, permit or tarpon I can be of more help. Although, I hate permit so don't ask as they just make me angry lol

scn

For starters on the flies, your guide more than likely is going to want to fish what he has tied up. He WANTS you to catch fish so he can get a better tip or repeat bookings. He is more than likely going to want to throw what he has been catching them on. If you get into a bunch of fish, he may be willing to let you try one of yours, but, don't count on it.

The most important thing to know is what kind of "program" you will be doing down there. Are you on a poling skiff way back in skinny water with the guide poling from a platform looking for fish to cast to? Or, are you on a bay boat in deeper water blind casting? Both can be productive!

If you are sight fishing in 1-3' of water, you don't want or need much weight on your flies. It can add to a spooking splat when it hits, and, can end up buried in the mud. In dirtied up water, have some black and purple flies. For clear water, have some tans and chartreuse.

If you are doing the blind casting deal, you will be in deeper water where a little wt. will help get and keep it down. I've seen a day when your basic gray over white clouser minnow was a killer for blind casting.

One of the joys of redfishing is that they normally aren't real picky. Having tarpon or permit not give your fly a second look gets old. Fortunately, that usually isn't a deal with the redfish.

Iglow

First try at a kwan with what I had on hand….STOP LAUGHING!!!🤦🏻

Attachments

• IMG_2620.jpeg
    IMG_2620.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 45

Gvit

If you were limited to 3 flies for gulf coast redfish, both flats in the bays and beaches, what would you choose and why?
That's easy - 2 Chartreuse/ white Deceivers & a Dupre Spoon fly 👍
I lived on the coast for 26 years - often times I'd spend all day on the water w/ just these 2 flies on my boat. Spoon is deadly on an incoming tide (especially over oyster beds) & don't really need to say anything about the Deceiver...

Lefty's_Deceiver_01.jpg

dupree.jpg

Iglow

I've got an inexpensive 8wt and picifun reel , nothing special, fine for bass. I've never got into anything where I needed drag. The drag on that reel isn't sealed and it ain't much surface area, real small. Will it work?

scn

I've got an inexpensive 8wt and picifun reel , nothing special, fine for bass. I've never got into anything where I needed drag. The drag on that reel isn't sealed and it ain't much surface area, real small. Will it work?
It won't work very well. A redfish isn't like a permit or a tarpon in testing your equipment, but they can make some really fast and powerful runs.

In most freshwater fishing the reel can be an after thought. Not so much with the saltwater fish.

Latest posts