Barking Dogs and Deer

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
They do get used to it. People on top of the hill at the edge of my property have dogs, either fenced or tied up, and I can usually gauge the timing of the deer by when they start barking up there. ;)
My food plot I got neighbors that are about 150yards from it and they are a nasty thicket in between us and they have 2dogs and when they start barking you better get ready. Tonight they started right at dark deer came out after dark so I was able to slip out undetected.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Had a neighbor in Silver Point that had a dog chained up 35 yards from my bedroom window. Mutt barked all night. I reported him for not caring for the animal no water, no housing, wet and cold, no food and on. Sheriffs department finally reused to respond further and told me it was a civil case. I confronted the owners numerous times to no avail. Even drove up in his yard and shined my headlights into his windows and layed down on the horn. This went on for a couple months Then I called and reported him for manufacturing meth, I had no idea I was right…

Ski

I've got 100 acres and a neighbor like that. He must have 4 or 5 dogs and they yap yap yap. At first I found it incredibly annoying like you do, but then something peculiar happened. The biggest bucks began bedding up close to those dogs. The dogs can't get to the bucks, but the bucks now have an alarm system to alert when something comes around. I've killed two P&Y bucks in the last 3yrs within 150yds of those obnoxious dogs. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Both these bucks were shot after they left their bed near the dogs. I've now learned to like the mutts. When I hear them barking in an excited alarm kind of way, chances are good deer are coming my way.

1670458164428.png

1670458250144.png

WilcoKen

I'd put them on the property line mounted on t-post pointed straight at the problem and then maybe put the other down farther on the line so if the dogs moved back a ways to bark that the second one picked them up and sounded off also
That would be about 60 ft from them. Should work. I could hit the remote when they start up.

WilcoKen

Had a neighbor in Silver Point that had a dog chained up 35 yards from my bedroom window. Mutt barked all night. I reported him for not caring for the animal no water, no housing, wet and cold, no food and on. Sheriffs department finally reused to respond further and told me it was a civil case. I confronted the owners numerous times to no avail. Even drove up in his yard and shined my headlights into his windows and layed down on the horn. This went on for a couple months Then I called and reported him for manufacturing meth, I had no idea I was right…
Im thinking of making a noise maker with barn metal and a hammer that the wind moves somehow. Its right above their house.

Duck dogn

I live on 20 acres and a big reason I bought the place 13 years ago was to hunt it. I've killed some nice bucks right out my back door. Its been nice. Until this year. New neighbor moved in and what does she do but get 4 dogs and tie them up out back. 50 yards to the right of my shoot house. These dogs bark constantly. Now I rarely see deer in my plot except on camera in middle if the night. I've wondered if deer get used to the barking. I dont think the mature bucks tolerate it. If nothing else, it is tiring to hunt in my shoot house because they never. Shut. Up.

Oh and her teenage boys like to do the Daytona 500 in trucks around the house during prime time hunting some afternoons--while the dogs bark. Neighbors suck. She aint going anywhere either--the place was given to her. Bad neighbors is a curse Ive had at all 3 houses Ive owned.
Same here bud my bad neighbors sold new neighbors are great. Just a heads up co-op sells a no bark bird house I don't know if deer will be affected but I love blue birds and put up blue bird houses but my old jackass neighbors really thought I was obsessed with blue birds cause I hung a couple no bark bird houses on my fence line wood post. Lol they never knew the difference. 🤣😛

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
That's some good luck right there

mike243

Deer know when dogs are penned up or tracking them, have watched a lot of deer with dogs penned or chained up within 100y and more, it's like shots unless they are close they don't pay attention to them unless they have been jumped and are running from them. Had a buck come in a few weeks ago that I shot and 2 dogs showed up 5 minutes latter, there had not been any barking that they were trailing so maybe they came to the sound of the muzzle loader, 1 was a German Shepard

BassNTN

I have the same type of situation on the place I hunt. The neighbors dogs bark constantly, but it doesn't bother the deer at all. They will actually work toward the dogs and bed down within 50 yards of them. I also saw the largest buck I have seen there when my son and I were out squirrel hunting with our Mountain Cur. We walked up on them after crossing a ridge. He was with a doe and stood at 20 yards and looked at all of us for a few seconds before they took off. The dog had been treed a few minutes before we saw them.

Fatboy99

I live on 20 acres and a big reason I bought the place 13 years ago was to hunt it. I've killed some nice bucks right out my back door. Its been nice. Until this year. New neighbor moved in and what does she do but get 4 dogs and tie them up out back. 50 yards to the right of my shoot house. These dogs bark constantly. Now I rarely see deer in my plot except on camera in middle if the night. I've wondered if deer get used to the barking. I dont think the mature bucks tolerate it. If nothing else, it is tiring to hunt in my shoot house because they never. Shut. Up.

Oh and her teenage boys like to do the Daytona 500 in trucks around the house during prime time hunting some afternoons--while the dogs bark. Neighbors suck. She aint going anywhere either--the place was given to her. Bad neighbors is a curse Ive had at all 3 houses Ive owned.
Deer get used to dogs and so will you. I'm in similar situation and now dog's going crazy and I'm like what dogs, oh yeah. Hell neighbors will randomly shoot guns, that still gets my attention real quick, but deer stand in food plot unfazed.

BSK

Deer can get used to anything, as long as it doesn't harm them. I've got a food plot about 150 yards from the property line of a big duck club. Opening morning of duck season it sounds like a Civil War reenactment. An absolutely cannonade. Deer feed in that plot while the booming is going off next door and don't bat an eye.

East TN Bowhunter

That can be one of the worst feelings when you know you have a nice shooter buck and he only comes around at 10pm or later because the neighbors dogs out running around and barking their heads off. I have dealt with it for 10+ years. I have a neighbor on each side, both with dogs and thank god one of them just moved out. That could still be a bad thing tho bc the next one may be even worse!

Ski

That can be one of the worst feelings when you know you have a nice shooter buck and he only comes around at 10pm or later because the neighbors dogs out running around and barking their heads off. I have dealt with it for 10+ years. I have a neighbor on each side, both with dogs and thank god one of them just moved out. That could still be a bad thing tho bc the next one may be even worse!

Now THAT is a problem. If the dogs are free roaming, they're on the hit list at my place. They'll get exactly the same treatment coyotes get.

rtaylor

The birdhouse does work very well. My parent's neighbors dogs were yapping 24/7 so we tried one. They started barking and immediately tuck tail and ran. It took about a week for them to learn not to bark. I highly recommend them but stay on top of the batteries. If the dogs bark alot it will go through batteries pretty fast.

megalomaniac

I might know someone who had a neighbor bring 17 pit mixes into his trailer lot and let them roam free. He went from having 16 or 17 bucks on camera in a season on 150 acres to 1 or 2. But the neighbor wasn't feeding them and they were eating the deer.

Then the dogs somehow got into some 'spoiled' hot dogs and the problem was fixed in 24 hours.

BSK

My weird off-gridder neighbors keep 7 dogs inside their one-acre property. Luck for the dogs, the owners fenced their property, and the dogs don't get out. But those dogs go ballistic several times a day and yap and bark continuously. The deer have learned to ignore them.

ROVERBOY

Now THAT is a problem. If the dogs are free roaming, they're on the hit list at my place. They'll get exactly the same treatment coyotes get.

4 or 5 years ago one of my neighbors had 7 or 8 mutts running around during deer season. One of their dogs had a bunch of pups. I guess they have never heard of spay and neuter.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
We have noticed an increase in "free range" dogs in both Stewart county TN and Trigg county KY.
People aren't feeding well and are letting dogs run and many are dumping dogs in rural areas.those need to be dealt with or they start multiplying and packing up.
It could be a disaster for turkey nesting and fawning season. Not to mention the threat to children and livestock!

Latest posts