Bad luck

UTGrad

On windy days I often wonder if I would survive if the tree fell over. I always wear a harness so I'm not sure if I would just hang there if the tree didn't fall completely and was stopped by other trees or if I would slam into the ground.

agelessssone

That does suck, glad you weren't in it.
one of my spots was logged a few years back and another guy was in there later cutting firewood. He dropped a tree right on my ladder stand. He had 20 acres to cut on and just happened to ruin a new tree stand. We're probably both lucky he wasn't there when I found it. For some reason he kept having trouble with his log splitter after that, kinda like there was water or mt dew in the gas 🤔
I had a friend who had trouble with a fella like that. seems this fella's generator at his cabin didn't like Karo syrup mixed in the oil!

megalomaniac

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230810_183335_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230810_183335_Messages.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 29

Dumbluck

My biggest fear is a tree coming down with me strapped to it.

I have no stands in the woods, I always pack out what I pack in so I've never had the damaged stand issue but some of my hunting buddies have and that would suck to get to your spot and find it like that. Now I have had a particular tree that I was going to hunt and when I got there it was a mess.

I'd say you had good luck not being in it. Bad is luck is having your target buck at 35 yards walking right toward you and at the last second does a 180 for no reason and walks away. I had to experience that last week and that was bad luck. Then you have to work Monday and he is standing right in your shooting lane on camera, then you were gonna hunt but had to go pick something up and he's back in your shooting lane, then your hunting buddy finds out where your hunting him and drives through his bedding area at 4:45 pm like the freaking deer is gonna stand there and let him drive up and shoot it. It's a 4.5+ year old deer! Then he never comes back. I could go on for a while with this deer, but I feel a little better after that vent.

I can hear Jcdeerman calling me tomorrow and starting out with "let me guess..."

Last edited:

recurve60#

Yup, far too often.

Had one fall and crush a stand I had a 50/50 chance of hunting that morning. From a nearby stand, I heard the tree fall and thought, "Wow, I bet that was close to my other stand." Actually fell right through it, pile-driving into a twisted ball of metal at the bottom of the tree.
Yep,been there done that. That and age has me still hunting for the last few years. Success hasnt suffered.

drawforce

Yes I got to the stand and it was mashed flat.I sat on the trunk of the tree and a big 8 came in I wanted to shoot and he saw me and hauled tail out of there.

Latest posts