Backpack foods

Quiver

Any suggestions other than MH, oatmeal, instant taters, and trail mix? My wife is getting sick of my test kitchen. :D

PO Cedar

ad3d9e01.jpg

PO Cedar

Yes, I have the MSR "Pocket Rocket" canister stove for high altitude and larger meal cooking. The black stove is a wood burner that is good for survival if you are in a location where you can find twigs,small limbs. The cookpot needs to be coated with liquid soap so the soot won't soil the pot. The small aluminum "canteen" surplus stove uses a trioxane bar and will boil water with one of the bars. The round "Pepsi" can stove is a homemade version from a soda can bottom/top and uses denatured alcohol. The Esbit stove is the small rectangular folding stove that is light and effective for boiling water,etc... It uses the esbit fuel tablet,trioxane bar, or the new military "Pyrapak" fuel gel(pictured inside the esbit)that squeezes out like toothpaste. All good lightweight stoves for varied uses in the field.

backpackingstoves002.jpg

PO Cedar

Packed for transport- the Pocket Rocket folds up in the red plastic case-----the wood burning stove folds up in its own cordura case---
backpackingstoves004.jpg

PO Cedar

When backpacking for elk, I was always in a hurry to "git after em" in the mornings so I would just boil water for instant oatmeal,and a cup of coffee(coffee singles-like a tea bag)-I bought the flavored oatmeal but have recently changed to using plain oatmeal with a big scoop of crunchy peanut butter in it. The peanut butter melts/blends and it gives that extra boost of energy. Also,instead of the standard trail mix(gorp),I've added the "Chex Mix" in the "turtles,dark chocolate,varieties. They can be a bit messy though if the temps climb so some unscented wet wipes in a ziploc is a good ideal if you pack some for midday snacking.

Quiver

You must have cooked them Knorr meals. I couldn't get em to soften up with just boiling water.

Thanks for the input.

PO Cedar

If you have enough patience to wait for them to soften up in the freezer ziploc bag-and it needs to be the heavyweight freezer bags.I hate cleaning dishes so ate them however they cooked. I was always so bone tired by the time I got into spike camp at night that I just wanted to eat and go straight to bed.

Latest posts