Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight?

RockChucker30

I'm down to about 52 lbs skin out weight including weapon, clothes, watch,shoes, etc.

Pack weight right now is 39 lbs including 2 liters of water and food for 7 days. I can push that down to the 32-34 range, but I started reaching my rebound point, where I'd rather hump the extra weight and be assured of a good nights sleep, plenty of food, etc.

Here is a really good blog post on how to cut weight for a BP hunt.

http://seekoutside.com/ultralight-hunting-kit-primer/

You've got to look at your base weight, the big three of Pack, Shelter, and Sleeping gear. Of those pack weight is the most important because you will always be wearing your pack, while other gear can get left at camp.

My Paradox Evolution 4800 with a Hydro Talon weighs right around 4 lbs. I could take a Unaweep and get down to the low 3's but I'm pretty comfortable with my choice.

Poser, there is a place in CO that makes dehy Quinoa backpacking meals. There are a few other boutique freeze dried places that make paleo friendly foods too.

RockChucker30

Poser said:
Good link. The Enlightened Equipment 20 degree quilt is actually on my upgrade list for next year. A 20 oz quilt would cut my bag weight by neary 60% and bring my entire sleep system (shelter, bag, pad) down to 3.5 lbs.

Sounds like we are pretty close in weight. My pack is right at 4 pounds and I'm real happy with its capabilities. I almost went with the Stone Glacier, but the user reviews coming back on the new Exo pack + the price point really sold me on it.

I've got an EE Rev X 20 degree quilt and will probably take my Western Mountaineering Antelope 5 degree bag instead even though it weighs 20 oz more. I sleep cold, and getting good sleep is extremely important. That's what I call the rebound point�I can logically go lighter, but don't really want to.

If you're ever in Middle TN and want to test drive a Paradox Pack, let me know. I'm one of the owners.

RockChucker30

If I remember right Packit Gourmet has some fairly paleo friendly meals. Cache Lake has some dehydrated sweet potatoes that are really tasty.

Doing your own isn't hard at all. I'm not really strict paleo either, just mostly. I'm doing a Quinoa meal with diced tomatoes, onion, corn, black beans, tuna, and spices. Dehydrate that and it comes back pretty nice. Chili also does good.

I made Pemmican this year to take. Got grass fed beef lard from US Wellness meats and then dried deer jerky till super dry. Powder the meat and add to the melted fat with some spices. Makes kind of a cookie that packs about 200 cal / oz and is pretty tasty.

RockChucker30

I'll probably be doing that this week as well. I prototyped a new bino cover today and will probably do a couple iterations of hipbelt pockets tomorrow, along with either Insanity or hill sprints, or both. Good times.

RockChucker30

Poser, I'll be using a Rick Young UL bino harness this year. The problem with the RY is the same that the Crooked Horn has....it bounces if you run or move fast. The FHF harness I have does better in this regard, but could be much improved with a bit different strap placement.

What I did was to make an X-Pac bino cover that is a hybrid elastic and webbing. It holds the binos in place even when running, but has enough give to access them very quickly. Plus X-Pac (which our packbags are made from) is completely waterproof, so I won't have to worry about rain in the eyecups.

DaveB

Poser-Ummm, i'm thinking, maybe a slightly newer toothbrush would be okay? I don't think newer ones are necessarily heavier.

But to important stuff::::Thread somewhere said frost at 9800 feet in Colorado last weekend. You checking your intended area daily?

DaveB

My own Colorado elk hunting experience was I burned through calories and sleep. I was always hungry, nearly always cold, and I could sleep at any time. Always First gun season.

I know you are headed NW soon, best of luck. Ha Ha wait till you put one on the ground. I crawled INSIDE the chest cavity of my elk. They be big.

PS. take some extra mem chips for you camera

AT Hiker

Just got back from Yellowstone, one day it was 80 and the next we had snow and it didnt get above 38. We also had numerous thunderstorms pop up during the day, without warning, and they got pretty nasty with hail.

I would bivy below tree line, in some type of natural shelter and away from a quick rising creek (crick if your from the West).

Camping near your glassing point is a great idea, as long as it is not in the wide open. This allows you extra sleep and to glass up until dark and have a short walk back to camp. I would also consider wind too, you dont want your scent blowing down into a park.

tickweed

12000 is going to be really high. At 12000, you will have very little, if any plant life growing. Mainly rocks and dirt. the Elk will probably be a little lower, in the Aspens, where the grass is, until a frost kills it. If the elk aren't vocal, it will be a lot tougher to find them, especially if the leaves are still on the Aspens. Glass at first daylite, that will be your best chance. Without much pressure, you should hear some bugleing.

tickweed

I would stay at least a half mile out of my hunting area. I always sit at several higher points, which offer a good view of a lot of acres, right at daylite. I glass, or listen for Bugling or cow talk. Then I make my move. The Elk will bed up at the higher elevations, usually by 9 am or so, and then will move down late in the evenings, and at nite. The better grass will be in the lower pockets, where the frost hasn't killed it. You should be there during the rut, or close, and maybe the Bulls will be active. Elk tend to stay and use the same areas as long as they don't have a lot of pressure, or a big change in weather, hot and dry, snow. in my opinion, they really aren't hard to hunt, as long as you are on them. Now, with that being said, it could be hit or miss.

elkman

best advice i can give you, for the most part is if you dont think you are being aggressive enough on your calling and tactics, you prolly aint.

thetoolman

Poser said:
Just take with a game warden. Hurricane spinoff headed this way on Sunday. Supposed to get "interesting" at high elevation. Should be fun :cool:

Did you ask what his idea of "interesting" would be? LOL Have a safe trip and hope you tag a good one. :cool:

Latest posts