Backpack Elk Hunt: Where to Shave Weight?

Buzzard Breath

I'd ditch the extra base layers, neck gaiter, extra boots, outer pants, and down jacket (unless you sleep in it).

I'd also replace the rain gear with a poncho (http://www.golite.com/Poncho-Tarp-P885.aspx) 7 ounces compared to 34.4. All you do with rain gear is put it on to wait out a storm, then take it right back off. This is assuming you're wearing leg gaiters, which are a necessity.

Make sure you pack enough variety for food. Otherwise, you'll just be starving yourself while you pack around a bunch of carp you can no longer stand to eat. I've returned with food on every single one of my trips.

Buzzard Breath

Add leg gaiters, Tylenol Pm, earplugs, extra lighter (first aid kit), TP, baby wipes (these can be dried and rejuvenated with a couple drops of water), and 2 pairs of merino wool boxers (burn 1 on day 4).

Tylenol PM and earplugs are to keep the bears away. The Colorado mountains will be completely silent in September, not even bugs will be making noise. You will hear leaves drop. This will solve that problem for you. I wear earplugs anytime I'm backpacking in black bear country anymore. Besides, you've already survived a shark attack, what's the chance of you being attacked by a bear?

AT Hiker

I would start training pack goats right now, they can carry about 40lbs each and if you get hungry you of all people will know how to cook one.

I say take all that gear on a 2 day hike here in TN (go to the Smokies). You will then see what non hunting essiantials you will need.

Socks are a good investment too, merino wool, keep a clean pair to sleep in.

AT Hiker

When I hiked from GA to the Smokies a couple years ago I ate a fraction of the food I brought but used just about everything else. Like Buzz said, you will likely return with food and typically it is the heaviest thing you pack.

I wish you luck with the food experiment, if you can shave weight there and still keep your nutrition and hunger pains at ease then you will do good.

X2 on crocs, super lite weight and your feet will love you. Plus they are good for water crossings. I strap mine on the outside of my pack.

Buzzard Breath

Poser said:
Pack: I would like to upgrade to a Stone Glacier pack, but I doubt it's in the cards this year. Will that REI pack carry exceptionally heavy loads (100 lbs +) for meat hauling? That's my concern with a "budget" pack. They are fine on 60 pound loads, but come up short when hauling heavy loads.
The REI XT85 is an awesome hauler. It can easily handle more weight than I am comfortable carrying. Do a search on Bowsite or Rokslide for info. Several forum members use it and have posted about it. By cutting off some unnecessary parts, it can be trimmed down to below 5 pounds.

Buzzard Breath

Poser said:
A lot of people don't count the weight of the clothes they are wearing or even their optics. IMO, weight is weight regardless of where you are wearing/carrying it.
You won't catch me doing this. I don't weigh anything anymore. My pack weighs what it weighs and I've got to carry it no matter what. Don't get me wrong, I've done enough of this that I could probably tell you what it is within a couple pounds. But, I'm more concerned with being able to be somewhat comfortable and enjoying myself more while on a hunt.

I'm a tent person and I want 2 hot meals a day. It's what helps me hunt to the best of my ability. Although this year I may become a tipi person and pack a wood burning stove with me. I've been on hunts where I've been miserable, lost focus, and blew opportunities. No more.

Buzzard Breath

I'm also developing a new concept over the winter. I have established a solid layer of energy around my midsection. I figure if I can keep this until my hunt, I can easily handle less food. :D

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Buzzard Breath said:
I'm also developing a new concept over the winter. I have established a solid layer of energy around my midsection. I figure if I can keep this until my hunt, I can easily handle less food. :D

That's how I figure it...I could easily make it a few days if I became lost or ran out of chow. At some point this summer I'm gonna take the tipi and stove plunge. That way I can carry a lighter bag and more chow :grin: The Mystery Ranch 6500 I have weighs nearly 10 empty.

A person could just about drive themselves nuts trying to cut weight. I have read where guys have cut the edges off of their maps, toothbrushes in half and God forbid....1 pair of drawers. Powder and baby wipes only work for so many days.

AT Hiker

Poser, you seem very analytical over this, you actually seem like the ultralight backpackers I met on the trail. I for one try my best within my budget to cut as much weight as possible but I also feel if you can train and prep yourself for a heavier weight you give yourself a huge advantage. I also loose the fun when I think to much about it.

My feet are my life source, therefore good boots, merino socks, and crocs are a must. No way you can let your feet breath and boots dry some by wearing them in camp.

For food, I have tried everything for the most part but nothing like ramen noodles to make you feel full and give you that quick endorphin like feeling. Then I take supplements, energy dense bars for the nutrition side. Food is a highly debatable topic as well, but knowing your body (like you do) is key. I can survive 5 days in the backcountry with 2,000 cal or less per day, water is my key element. Ramen and a snickers bar can carry me 20 miles in the mountains, when I get back to town a micro brewery and brick oven pizza joint is my first stop.

Bottom line is this; you will cut all that weight then hopefully at the end of the hunt you will be packing out more weight than you ever imagined. A nice mature bull elk aint skinny by no means.

What is your favorite backpacking coffee? I like the starbucks via, its my splurge when I go hiking.

tickweed

what are your plans if you take an elk? At the time of yr you are going, you wont have a large time frame to get an 800lb animal out. Believe me, I know. Packing in sounds great, but without horses or mules, getting meat out is a monster of a job if packing out on pack frames. We hike in from our main base camp daily, 3-5 miles, but many times when we have taken Elk we had to get them out that day, and head down the mountain to get them to a processor. If warm at all, the black flies and yellowjackets will cover the meat. Meat bags are a must, as well as skinning as quick as possible. Just keep this in mind, because if you pack in deep in bow season, you will lose meat unless you have 5-6 people in great shape that have pack frames, and are able to get it out asap. Had a buddy that went a couple yrs ago by himself, packed in several miles, killed a nice 5x5, and lost over half the elk due to warm weather, and no help. Going light is great with horses, but you have got to be in daily range of a vehicle during bow season, in the event you have to get a elk out. Now, during gun season, mid Oct. onward, yes, much cooler, usually some snow, meat can be hung, more time to get it out. One tip, if you must hang meat, hang it in dark timber, much cooler, keep the sun off it. Just trying to help you out. Ive been 16 yrs, we've took 30 plus elk. Wish you the best. My last advice, take plenty of water, or you wont make it. You cant drink enough.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
I have a friend who has an Icon pack. I haven't had the chance to fiddle with it much. With my MR bag, it will carry far more than I can physically tote up and down a mountain. I have seen the Wooby bags but I'm a cold sleeper. I have a Big Agnes Storm King and I sleep just fine in it. If it wasn't so big, I'd carry my Cabelas Alaskan -40 bag, but it doesn't compress down to about the size of a mini fridge.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
3 of us toted a cow out in one trip, about 3 miles. We had to help each other up as we all had about 100+ lbs of elk and gear. I agree whole heartedly on having a plan to get an elk out. Another thing is that if you aren't familiar with horses and tack, then you have no business trying to figure it out when you get to the trail. It is a disaster waiting to happen.

AT Hiker

I have not heard of the Wobby, had to look it up. But I do use a liner in my REI down radiant bag, which by the way is awesome! IMO their is nothing better in its price range.

1shot1kill

I went on the second rifle hunt in 2013. If I had it to do over I would have left the insulated clothing at the house. They are nice in the early mornings but you will warm up quick when you start putting the miles in. Also if you have insulated boots such as Rocky Bearclaws etc, ditch them, use a lightweight 6" waterproof hiking boot with good socks. Make sure you take extra pair of socks, and mole skin. I took my GPS also and didn't use it just added weight, all you need there is a good topo map and compass. If you do decide to take your GPS I have a 24K Topo Colorado base map if your interested. Good luck on your hunt

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Poser said:
UPSman said:
I have a friend who has an Icon pack. I haven't had the chance to fiddle with it much. With my MR bag, it will carry far more than I can physically tote up and down a mountain. I have seen the Wooby bags but I'm a cold sleeper. I have a Big Agnes Storm King and I sleep just fine in it. If it wasn't so big, I'd carry my Cabelas Alaskan -40 bag, but it doesn't compress down to about the size of a mini fridge.

You own a -40 degree bag :crazy: ? That's like what you sleep in at Camp 5 on Mt Everest. I have -15 Degree down bag from my Alpine days. That thing is toasty, but even at colder temps, I never felt like I needed a bag that warm. I sleep pretty warm. Put me in a mummy bag and zip it up, and I'll start roasting. Very seldom do I sleep all night with a mummy bag fully contained. Maybe the first 20-30 minutes to get it warmed up.

My partner has a MR bag and he loves it.

That cabelas bag is the cats azz. I cannot sleep in clothes hardly. Getting all twisted up and then I'm awake more than I'm sleeping. When we hunt from the truck and come back at night, that's the only real time the bag gets used. 2 falls ago in Colorado it never got below 20 at night and I think I can describe as what it feels like to be a pig in a blanket. The MR pack is well worth the money IMO.

What kind of pack is that in the picture? Looks like an Eberlestock.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
100 lbs in an X2 will put that pack to the test. I would ask to see if they would reinforce the stitching on the shoulder straps. Nothing would suck worse than a strap tearing loose 5 miles from the truck with a pack loaded with meat or antlers. I have a friend who had a sitka pack ( one of the smaller ones ) take a crap on him while carrying out a black bear hide and skull. He described it rather colorfully.

Crosshairy

Poser said:
Alright, first gear weigh in for a 7-8 day, backpack style (no spike camp) CO Elk hunt. Actual gear came in at 44.23 (without bow), 48.63 with bow, but there are still have a couple of unknown variables.

*Food: I estimated 10 lbs for 7-8 days including coffee. That's a bit heavy, as 1 lbs per day is the usual goal, but I know I'll need it. I just don't perform well without sufficient calories.

Some of these things, I'm looking to cut corners. In others, I need to cut corners, but I can't afford the upgrade. For example, my sleeping bag comes in at 3.2 lbs. It was "Ultralight" by the standards of 1999, but the equivalent bags today are coming in at a little over a pound if you're willing to shell out $400+ (that' upgrade won't happen this year). Same thing on the down jacket, mine (that I also bought in 1999) came in at 20 oz. Newest models are running 9 oz. Those to upgrades alone would save me almost 3 pounds, but I can't afford it.

What can I trim and what looks heavy? Since we'll be hunting with full packs and covering extremely difficult terrain, I need to trim down to 40 lbs. I can probably compromise on a pound of food, possibly 1.5 lbs, but I know I am going to be more than 7 lbs. Expected Temp range is 30-80 degrees

Empty Pack: 126.4
Sleeping Bag: 51.2
Tarp Shelter: 11
Trekking Poles: 18.8
Water Filter: 12.5
XLite Sleeping Pad: 12.5
Soft shell Jacket 24
Down Jacket: 20.5
Food: 160oz
Firstaid kit: 10
Water: 35.2 (2 liters)
Bladder: 6 oz
Rain gear (top & bottom): 34.4
Merino Base layer pants: 9.1
Merino Base Layer shirt: 8
Outerwear Pants: 18.5
Gloves: 2.6
Merino Neck gaiter: .75
Merino hat: .75
Hat: .75
Optics + Harness: 35.2
GPS w batteries: 5.4
headlamp w/ batteries: 3.2
Spare batteries: 6
dry sacks: 3
Tent stakes: 2.1
Stove: 3
Pot/cup/spork: 12
Fuel: 8
*Kill Kit: 30 (game bags, knife, 550 cord)
socks 7
Boots: 30
-----
707.75 oz/ 44.23 lbs

Bow: 68.8

Total: 776.55/ 48.53 lbs

What kind of water filter do you have? I know there are some lighter options out there (Life Straw is one I've read about, but never tried. That's probably the most minimalist available, besides the tablet approach). Either way you go, be sure to have some water-treating tablets as a backup. I've heard of too many filter-failure stories. Or, look up the ratio of drops of bleach per gallon, and you could use that instead for a cheap fix that takes up almost zero space.

Is the bladder like the Camelback kind? You might just carry one of those half-size water bottles for on-the fly drinking and lose the bladder weight.

The trekking poles are an odd thing for weight consideration...when you are walking, the pole is resting on the ground half the time and you aren't actually carrying it, per se. That's over a pound of pseudo-weight right there :). Another thought from a guy that carries a walking/shooting stick sometimes...could you get by with just one, or would that knock you off balance too much? I understand why you prefer two...

I second the rain gear comments. If I plan on hunting in actual rain, I will bring my breathable suit, but it is not particularly light. Another option might be to only carry the legs, and use a good poncho for the upper and lose that part of the weight. Just throwing out ideas.

Lastly, I know very little about stoves, since I've never used the backpacking styles. How long is 8 ounces of fuel supposed to last? Is it the Sterno-based kind, alcohol, or what? Could you rig your setup to work with a small wood fire in a pinch (as a fall-back plan, not as primary)?

Best of luck!

Latest posts