Backpack setups for DIY'ers

PO Cedar

We didn't exactly have the new ultralight backpacking gear but we wanted to hunt elk and we had a limited budget. So military surplus was the answer.LOL
Survivalofthefittest.jpg

PO Cedar

They don't work too well in the high country,although I understand they have remedied the "frozen butt" phenomonem by adding an insulated layer. I'm just relating what a few "newbies" posted when they tried going ultralight and experimented with them in Colorado and was miserable when temps dropped at night, I have no personal experience with them. David Sapp's Golite Hex 3 with a sewn in "versaport" and an ultralight folding titanium stove(www.titaniumgoat.com) would be a good shelter choice,IMO. Pack in a few charcoal briquets to put in the stove just before sacking out and you should stay pretty warm,even with a marginal sleeping bag.

PMC certified

Interesting. I have used one down to about 20d with no problem. I found that using a insulator under me and dropping a couple of handwarmers in my bag to work well. One other trick is to hang it very low and pile up leaves or pine straw near the base to cut off the wind.

Pmc

PO Cedar

I went out early in 2004 to scout for elk for a bunch coming out later and ended up at the head of a drainage. A Forest Ranger was buried up there. I decided to sack out there next to him that night and keep him company.
Aug16-2640.jpg

PO Cedar

This was my backpack "setup"- a rainfly off an old A frame backpacking tent- definitely had a condensation issue the next morning.
Aug16-2647.jpg

jarhead7481

OK, I just found and bought a Kelty Cache Hauler. Boy are they hard to get a hold of. Now I need to look at them there packs. I am leaning towards either the Blacks-Creek Jim Horn Signature Alaskan, Canadian, or the Western. What do you guys think?
I have a year to ready myself and believe me I need readying.
No time like the present though.

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
I looked at an Alaskan today at Sportsman Warehouse. For $149 I'm gonna get one. Its a very nice pack.

Latest posts