auto Priming question

dh1984

I'm looking for a Auto priming kit to put on my Lee single stage press and i would like to know what i have to so i can prim my shell cases.

i been looking at the lee saftey priming tool but i don't really know what all i have to get for it.

Can someone shed some light on which one to get that has everything to prim the brass?

Jcalder

Personally. I would go with a hand primer from lee or rcbs. After watching the video it doesn't it doesn't look efficient and I like to wipe all my cases down after sizing to get the excess lube off. Just my opinion. Everyone is different

dh1984

oh i c i just know i'm trying to do everything easy as possible if i can :smile: but i'll start out with the hand primer then work my way up to the auto primer.

DaveB

DH, I have that exact piece of hardware and there is a lot to say about it, all no good. Unless you have delicate hands you are going to push the primer into the holder with your fingers, no other way. So, against all instructions telling you to not touch the primer face, you will absolutely touch every last one. Next: Getting that "feel" for setting a primer is really difficult, you won't know if you have bottomed out until you flatten the primer. Next: the tool will disappear and you can't load. All of the above has happened to me.

Although many have different opinions, I like to sonic clean (don't have stainless steel tumbler yet) my brass which cleans the primer pocket. Now, clean primer pockets doesn't seem to positviely impact your shooting but I like my stuff clean before loading.

Get a Lee hand primer. Had mine for over 20 years. I know what a properly seated primer feels like.

There are other methods-RCBS has a slick one with the primers loaded into strips or bought that way.

The only advantage is it is cheap and while it is sitting ther it tends to deflect some primers from bouncing all over the place.

DIRTTRAX

I have the auto prime for both of my presses but still prefer the hand held prime tool. Your welcome to borrow one of them to see if you like it or not.

dh1984

nope but i already bought them before i got my press :laugh: that was the first thing i bought because i knew for sure i will need them.

I saw them at a yard sale for 5 bucks brand new and i pounced like a cat on them.

44fanatic

R.I.P.
Ive got the auto prime on my turret press. It takes a bit of tuning in, but once you have it, it works pretty good.

I have found that if you get going to fast, you either wont drop a primer into the priming arm, get one in there angled or it ends up on the floor.

When you are loading up a couple hundred rounds, it comes in pretty handy.

Latest posts