Asian carp

WTM

thats not too high. optimal ph levels for growth is between 6.5 and 8.5. i dont do faceytweets or id answer his question as to why its higher there. its because of the gazillion tons of crushed and gabel limestone that they piled on that 4 mile stretch from the bridge to birdsong exit 133 to 3 lane it for the truckers. all of the runoff from that is dumping right into the river on the west side. its not a problem as long as the ph doesnt get above 9, and luckily its mixing with that black acidic water from the tie yards up through there. when they where piling that stone up there i told my wife that may cause a problem.

bluball

WTM":1akj8q6q said:
thats not too high. optimal ph levels for growth is between 6.5 and 8.5. i dont do faceytweets or id answer his question as to why its higher there. its because of the gazillion tons of crushed and gabel limestone that they piled on that 4 mile stretch from the bridge to birdsong exit 133 to 3 lane it for the truckers. all of the runoff from that is dumping right into the river on the west side. its not a problem as long as the ph doesnt get above 9, and luckily its mixing with that black acidic water from the tie yards up through there. when they where piling that stone up there i told my wife that may cause a problem.
He acted like it was high at the seminiar.He acted real worried about it and acted like thats what was affecting the fish during the american crappie trail seminiar.Said they keep a check on it and thats some of the highest levels he has seen since he has been employed with twra.Thats all i know,sounds like yall need yo talk[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

bluball

WTM":1r7nljpw said:
Heres what he first posted on facebook,copy and pasted

Hi guys, it is very interesting for me to read all the opinions on here regarding the invasive species. I surely respect everyone's opinion and certainly realize that we have Problems in this Lower Tennessee River. It certainly puts a tear in my eye to feel the hurt from the downfall of a resource that we have taken for granted and enjoyed so much over the years.
I want to throw a few opinions out there to everyone for considering which are entirely based on my lifetime of "water time" as a sport fisherman, commercial fisherman, commercial shell diver, as well as a die hard tournament crappie fisherman. I graduated from Murray State University in 1989 with many hours spent on Ky Lake in getting my degree in Wildlife/ Fisheries Management. I have seen many changes in the many lakes and rivers where I have traveled over the 40 years that I have been Blessed to enjoy. The changes that occur are many times identified exactly and corrected to the best of our biological ability by State and Federal Agencies. Other changes are never identified and after a few years our relentless natural world repairs itself in its own natural way. Sometimes with nature the repair seems quiet cruel with decimation of a species in an area etc. It's typically a disease or starvation epidemic which puts nature back into check with both game and fish.
My opinion of this change is this...... certainly the invasive species which is most visible, the CARP, is getting the most attention and blame. Please don't overlook other water quality factors and other invasive species as well. I target water chemistry, which I have had some experience with from my time spent with native and invasive (Zebra)mollusks. Like the carp, they also consume plankton and phytoplankton which is the essence of our ecosystem. An acidic system is deadly to an aquatic world. Preferred ph between 6. 5 and 8.5 can shift slightly and cause huge changes like we are experiencing now. Actually a shift in ph of 1.4 is considered drastic. When the ph changes it actually "gives" or "takes away" our aquatic weed growth. The system is hugely complex when ph moves up or down the scale. As important as "rain" can be it also is very acidic when it falls depending on atmospheric pollution at the given time of development and like Zebras add to our ever increasing acidic underwater world. I have not read one complaint that the growing population of multimillions of mussels both native and non native could be a problem. The shell industry as we knew it 20 years ago is no longer. Our shell population has grown hugely in the past few years. Because shells can't be identified by side image nor do they jump in our boats puts them out of sight to most.
When we consider other increasing problems with our growing world it seems that water quality needs to be put under the microscope. If you consider the growing human populations of huge cities along the flow of the Tennessee like Knoxville and Chattanooga and the amounts of waste water (Chlorine) that enters the system it is overwhelming. Facilities are allowed to release X amounts in parts per million and certainly we should recognize that the big problem seems to be most evident from Pickwick downstream. Chlorine and it's derivatives are very harmful to any aquatic life and increasingly harmful as water temps increase. We are at the "bottom of the pile" if you will, on this Lower Tennessee.
I have mentioned some potentials above and realize several more. Now I want to give you my personal observations regarding the non native carp.
Since the Silver and later Bighead was identified by Dr. Etinier/Parmalee in Fishes of Tennessee in the mid 80s which was caught by me in a gill net on the Mississippi River near Island 21 in Dyer Co. the population has grown and spread. Reelfoot Lake which I call my home lake has supported the exotic species in increasing numbers for more than 30 years. Today we are catching the best quality crappie of my life here at Reelfoot. I realize that the population of carp in Pickwick Lake resembles that of Ky Lake and Today the Crappie Fishing is awesome with great quality fish being caught. I have many examples from my travels where carp are present and crappie are doing very well. I have other examples in oxbows where carp are present with ultra shallow waters and the sheer ruckus that they cause merely makes it near impossible to catch a Crappie on a hook. It's not that the crappie don't coexist. This I have evidenced from the use of gill nets by a friend commercial fisherman.
I know that I have rambled a few of my opinions and said all above to say this..........We as sportsmen, sportswomen, outdoor lovers, politicians, biologists, chemists, etc. should not overlook other possibilities in the downfall of a resource. I can almost guess with good reasoning that all the problems with crappie on the Lower Tennessee is not completely caused by our invasive carp species. Yes, they are a problem that we and our complex and entire ecosystem may have to adjust to living with since any logical eradication program is going to cause even worse problems. An aggressive action to reduce the population with any type commercial gear will only be temporary. Unless every single fish is caught and no entry is allowed back into the system could a commercial action work. My minor area of study at Murray State was Chemistry and I believe that in our New Age of Chemistry / Genetics I do believe a potential solution exist for altering the invasive carp species. Anyone with ability in this department we should all encourage to get involved.
Thanks for reading a few of my heart felt opinions. I want the problem to get solved as much as anyone on earth. The exact problem first has to be identified before it can be corrected.
I am with all lovers of our natural world.
Ronnie Capps

WTM

thanks for posting that as i have made many posts on here that resembles his same sentiments. also thanks for posting that link to crappie.com as i read 2 other threads that Adam Martin explained the thin fish he examined were older fish that could no longer sustain effecient growth, at least thats his theory, and some research agrees with him. but in the same trap net study or maybe a different section of the lake, Paul Rister told game and fish magazine that shad populations were normal last fall, but on the flipside Adam said they didnt have a way to determine shad populations. i agree with his evaluation on black crappie. i target those mostly and there are more and more nice specs every year. as long as the water stays as clear as it has been there will be. blacks dont depend on shad as much as whites as they will eat bugs, insects, larvae and crustaceans to put on weight and survive. whites can also switch over when shad populations are low but its not their main diet as adults.

anyway i wasnt disagreeing or disbelieving you, i was just seeing some different things i guess.

lol, BUT still dont believe the topic of this thread in that silver and big mouth dont eat great numbers of shad.

Headhunter

I know many, many people who have crappie fished Reelfoot for years and in their opinion the fishing has never been worse. I went and never had a hit, prime time according to all the local guides. I can live with my trouble, I don't fish reelfoot, never have but once. A couple of my friends have went several times the last couple years, hired guides, paid tons of money and have as yet to catch more than 5 crappie in a day there. All the guides they went with, a couple been fishing Reelfoot all their lives, said there is for sure a problem there.

WTM

Headhunter":398wk9xp said:
I know many, many people who have crappie fished Reelfoot for years and in their opinion the fishing has never been worse. I went and never had a hit, prime time according to all the local guides. I can live with my trouble, I don't fish reelfoot, never have but once. A couple of my friends have went several times the last couple years, hired guides, paid tons of money and have as yet to catch more than 5 crappie in a day there. All the guides they went with, a couple been fishing Reelfoot all their lives, said there is for sure a problem there.

reelfoot gets a lot of fishing pressure now, something like quadruple. at least they banned commercial fishing for crappie on it a couple of years ago.

we used to fish big sandy a lot in the 80's and 90's. now everybody and their mommas fish it and the fishing aint like it used to be. when i was a kid we used to go to the bridge at birdsong and catch a 5 gallon bucket full of slabs in no time. aint that way anymore.

enjoy fishing while you can.

bluball

Not worried about disagreeing,learning from each other i believe.You should gonto the fall ky crappie.com get together in ky.Adam Martin and ky game and fish usually talk about lake conditions.Theres a tourny on friday and adam martin and ky game and fish usually age and check conditions of the fish weighed in.
WTM":2tqdoc8p said:
thanks for posting that as i have made many posts on here that resembles his same sentiments. also thanks for posting that link to crappie.com as i read 2 other threads that Adam Martin explained the thin fish he examined were older fish that could no longer sustain effecient growth, at least thats his theory, and some research agrees with him. but in the same trap net study or maybe a different section of the lake, Paul Rister told game and fish magazine that shad populations were normal last fall, but on the flipside Adam said they didnt have a way to determine shad populations. i agree with his evaluation on black crappie. i target those mostly and there are more and more nice specs every year. as long as the water stays as clear as it has been there will be. blacks dont depend on shad as much as whites as they will eat bugs, insects, larvae and crustaceans to put on weight and survive. whites can also switch over when shad populations are low but its not their main diet as adults.

anyway i wasnt disagreeing or disbelieving you, i was just seeing some different things i guess.

lol, BUT still dont believe the topic of this thread in that silver and big mouth dont eat great numbers of shad.

bluball

Headhunter":1xqgyxku said:
They claim this year has been exellent on reelfoot.I know several people who fish reelfoot and have saw pics of good quality fish caught this year.

TheLBLman

Would you rather eat a fish or a lizard?

Not a joke. Watch the video at the above link
explaining how invasive lizards are being commercially marketed now for food.
Seems to be working in reducing the lizard numbers.
Why not with these Asian carp, too?

Latest posts