Anyone hunting today (Thursday, nov 9)?

Newt

too early on my farms, 1st lockdown is Nov 20-24 or so... plus it was ALL deer that just quit moving after 10p.
Educate me mega, if in your other post your first does come in November 10 one would assume lockdown with that particular doe and buck would come just shortly later lasting 48-72 hours. And so on and so forth through the peak that's why catching that first estrous doe on the property you might have a trail of bucks with her because it's the only game in town, same as on the backside of the bell curve. In this post you say 1st lockdown is November 20-24 so are you referring to the majority of your deer herd is in lockdown in that time frame?

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I was… saw 3 from the stand. Then my dad shot and I got down to help him look. Bumped 5 more, and then couldn't find any sign at all of a hit. He hasn't been able to hunt in 2 years due to health issues, and this season has been rough for him so far

megalomaniac

Educate me mega, if in your other post your first does come in November 10 one would assume lockdown with that particular doe and buck would come just shortly later lasting 48-72 hours. And so on and so forth through the peak that's why catching that first estrous doe on the property you might have a trail of bucks with her because it's the only game in town, same as on the backside of the bell curve. In this post you say 1st lockdown is November 20-24 so are you referring to the majority of your deer herd is in lockdown in that time frame?
Lockdown is the peak of the bell shaped curve distribution of when does come into estrous. Nov 20 thru 24 there are so many does in heat, the mature bucks don't have to look long and hard to find the next receptive doe, so they just lockdown with does in thickets and don't travel. Terrible hunting for mature bucks.

Nov 10th is the very first start of the bell shaped curve of the entire rut cycle. The very first doe comes into heat, which subsequently flips the switch for mature bucks to actively and desperately try to find the next one. If you get lucky and find that first doe in heat, she usually will have 4 to 8 bucks following her.

Now after the peak breeding (Nov 20 thru 24 on my places), the few mature bucks that didn't get shot already are back to desperately searching for the last few does to come into heat. Hunting for the leftovers is good Nov 25 thru 28th.

By Dec 1, hunting is the worst it will be the entire season. Deer have been pressured hard for 2.5 weeks, and virtually no does in estrous, so daytime sightings of mature bucks falls through the floor.

But the cycle repeats itself Dec 14th or so, and hunting is good again Dec 18 thru 23rd for 2nd rut. Since there are many fewer does coming onto estrous for 2nd rut, the actual peak breeding is the best hunting because there isn't a 'lockdown' phase with over a dozen does in heat at the same time.

Lt.Dan

Though the weather isn't perfect, I went ahead and took the day off. I'm in the stand this morning in East TN on some TVA land. Nothing but squirrels so far. Anyone out this morning? Seeing any deer movement??
You must be sitting in my stand, because that's mostly all I've seen this year 😆

t_co1515

I have been hunting all week Monday was the best by far seen 17 deer with one shooter. The bucks were chasing the does all day. My dad got a video Tuesday of a buck mounting a doe. I believe the bucks are with the hot does or maybe its the weather, im no expert. And the video isn't a good quality.

Attachments

• 20231107_121935.mp4
    47.3 MB

Newt

Copy that! Exactly what I thought your answer was going to be thank you

backyardtndeer

My cell cam has been sending me pics of does this afternoon, first couple about 2:30. The light drizzle and grey sky has it really feeling like it should be a good afternoon.

DMD

Got this guy on camera at about 4:50 this afternoon. Just couldn't be in the woods this afternoon.🙄😡😂
1000019314.png

Latest posts