anyone hunt or experience with a .243 wssm???

leeinmemphis

I think I have decided to give the 243 wssm a chance. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them? I'm thinking about getting an ar15 upper built in this chambering and hunting with it this season. Just looking for something a little different and outside of the box....

Tikkabuck

I got one a Winchester,love it, very accurite,this will be the year it gets some field work,been having a blast with it at the range.

vonb

Why not just a plain Win. 243? Easier to find brass and doesn't lose much in terms of velocity.

leeinmemphis

hunt127588 said:
Why not just a plain Win. 243? Easier to find brass and doesn't lose much in terms of velocity.

because a standard ar15 lower won't accept a 243 win casing but it will a 243 wssm. To go with standard 243 you have to go to an ar10 lower and I don't have one of those.

CBU93

Lee,
I have no idea about the round or AR's...and I am sure it would fit your needs...

But,

I doubt if it would have any resale value when you are ready to move on to something else...what are factory load costs??? Pretty stout I would imagine...

I had a 243wssm in a browning a-bolts and loved it. It did great on deer and varmints, wide selection of bullets if you reload. I let one of my hunting buddies borrow it on a texas hog hunt and he asked what I would take for, so I made a high price not really wanting to sell it and he started counting out the money, I had to sell it!
Very accurate!

The Barnes X in 90gr and Original in 115RN worked well.

mr.big

I had a long throated 6mm Rem that would take an extra heavy charge and it shot the 100 Hornady BTSP over 3200 and you would have believed it was a 25-06,,I don`t know the speeds the WSSM run but a 100 at 3200 is serious deer killin stuff,2900 is the fastest I ever got from a 243 and up close works fine but I like a little more past 250.

it would be fun to shoot and have if it was accurate if you never hunted with it though,,,if it was set up for 70 NBT or 87 V-Maxes it would be an awesome long range prarie dog gun.

leeinmemphis

Thanks guys. I ordered the upper today and he said it would be 6-8 weeks before I get it so I will hopefully have it come deer season.

CBU I'm not overly concerned with ammo prices because I won't shoot but a few boxes a year through it. Believe it or not but there is a market for these uppers because of how rare they are and the wait times but I think this one will be one I'll hang onto for both me and boys to shoot once they get to the age.

Thehoytman.....yeah I hunt in unit "L" and kill quite a few does. I usually eat a couple deer a year and donate the rest to feed the hungry. As much work as I've put into my place the last couple of years I have a hard time letting the does walk. :)

Thanks again guys.

leeinmemphis

mr.big said:
you ever find who stole your 4 wheeler,,

I think of you often,,glad you stopped by.

Not a word on anything yet. I'm sure one day it'll catch up with them. I've been busy with a bunch of stuff and just haven't spent hardly time on here. Different priorities now I guess :) ......take care.