Food Plots Any Tractor Guys on here?

Pine Ridge

Found an old Kubota, 20 HP 3 cyl. diesel compact tractor with front end loader. Hydraulics in working order,motor runs strong. Needs fenders, tires and a lot of cosmetic work. Looks like it would be a bit of a project, But that front end loader (bucket) would come in might handy around the farm. Its a model B8200, they were made between 83-90. I was wondering is this to old for a tractor and if not, how could I arrive at a fair price to make an offer. I researched on line and found some for sale between 6k-10k, but in much better condition. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

xatxay

What are you planning on using it for? How big is your farm?
Buckets are very useful but 20 Hp is definitely on the small side and will limit you to 4' or smaller implements.
Age is not a big issue with tractors but hours are. How many hours does it have?

PickettSFHunter

I use a small tractor like that (except Allis Chalmers) with 4 ft implements for around 8 acres of plots a year and another 7 acres of bushhogging. For my plots its perfect, small enough to fit anywhere, but for bushhogging pasture its to small to get much done in much time. Mine is an 83 model and has 800 hours on it. Hours are whats important. You need to have someone that knows what they are doing look it over real good for you before offering anything. Tires are expensive. You really want 4WD too.

Pine Ridge

I would agree 20 HP is on the small side and maybe not much of an upgrade over a large 4 wheeler,But my place is only 75 acres and right now I only have about 2 acres in plots with the largest at 3/4 of an acre. I do have roads and a couple of wide trails that need to be maintained. As for the hours the hour meter reads 275, of course I don't know if it accurate. I'm going to take a closer look at it tomorrow, and line up someone who knows tractors. Thanks I appreciate the help.

KubotaM4900

First of all I do not know everything abt this but here is what I learned while shopping for my Kubota.
Most commonly found in the '80s models small orange tractors many had decals an warning stickers printed in Japanese. These are widely refered to as gray market tractors. Parts are extremely hard to get near impossible as I was advised. Yes if you know the right guy he may have a truck load, but I never have contact with those said guys. I believe the parts availability has to do with a franchise agreement restricting sale in certain areas. I have been told this many times by knowledgeable tractor owners and dealers. The best option would be to find someone who owns one of these they will be more than happy to tell the details.
If you are set on a ~20hp don't overlook the yanmar tractors priced abt as low as a diesel tractor gets better option than an old 8N. I know several people with those with gardens an plots. As one told me yanmar are narrow more narrow than most which allows for 4' tillers which are less expensive than a 6' by far.
Hope this helps some search an find more info on it an hope someone else here can add more to this also. Don't want to see you buy one just to have it parked at the corner of the field grown up in weeds like I have seen.

tellico4x4

We tried using a Yanmar about 10 years ago for food plots. While they may be alright for a small garden, ours would not stand up to planting multiple plots. We spent as much time working on it as using it. In one season of use, we broke 3 front axles....bought a Kubota L3400 in 2006 and am very satisfied with my orange mule.

Pine Ridge

Thanks KubotaM4900 for expanding on your earlier post. In my research of this tractor which included my post here on the forum I have learned a great deal about this model tractor. I also learned about gray tractors.In short, I have had someone who is knowledgable look over the tractor and in his opinion with some work the tractor still has some years of service left in it. He also repeated some of the things members here on the forum stated,the good and the bad. I spoke to the current owner a few days ago and he wouldn't set a sale price he wanted an offer. I told him I would think on it get back with him. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Latest posts