Any tracking dogs in the Centerville/Linden area?

JCDEERMAN

Check Facebook TN bloodtrailing network group. Good luck!
Thanks mega. I posted in that group just shortly ago. Question for you. I shot this deer at 10 yards and he was quartering towards me and I was about 25 feet up. Shot looked to have broke his shoulder. He ran about 65 yards and heard him cough 2-3 times. Then heard him run about 20 yards and cough again 1-2 times. Waited an hour and we tracked him well over 350 yards and we lost blood after 2.5 hours. Thoughts???? If he was coughing, surely I hit a lung or something right? Blood was bright red and only plentiful every 30 yards or so, then it stopped.

ZachMarkus

Here you go bud. Hope you find him! Good buck?
B420F6D0-441D-4A1E-BFA9-EFF34B10C521.png

JCDEERMAN

Here you go bud. Hope you find him! Good buck?
View attachment 119598
Thanks, pal. He's a great buck. One I don't believe I've seen before. I know he had 5 on his right side with long G2's. While tracking, I ran into what was our #1 buck before he broke his whole right side off. Watched him for 15 minutes or so. Great morning

Gravey

Thanks mega. I posted in that group just shortly ago. Question for you. I shot this deer at 10 yards and he was quartering towards me and I was about 25 feet up. Shot looked to have broke his shoulder. He ran about 65 yards and heard him cough 2-3 times. Then heard him run about 20 yards and cough again 1-2 times. Waited an hour and we tracked him well over 350 yards and we lost blood after 2.5 hours. Thoughts???? If he was coughing, surely I hit a lung or something right? Blood was bright red and only plentiful every 30 yards or so, then it stopped.
Sounds very similar to the one I killed last Saturday. I was maybe 8' up in a short ladder stand and the buck was walking toward me on a logging road. At maybe 25 yards I shot him through the shoulder hoping to not track him. He took off running right past me and his leg was dragging. Stopped maybe 50 yards up the hill and heard him cough, wheezing or whatever we want to call it and then he fell over dead. I couldn't see him but heard it and waited a couple minutes then started looking. Blew up both lungs so sounds like the same thing but at 350 yards tracking I'd guess one lung. Give him a little bit but my guess is he's dead. Good luck!

JCDEERMAN

I'm baffled. Long story short, I couldn't find him. I ended up opting out of getting a tracker, but talked to 2 of them and they offered great advice. Never found any more blood and searched from 2:30 till dark. Going to have a short hunt in the morning and start searching for him again. Will be listening for yotes tonight and watching for buzzards all next week as I am on pto - if I don't find him in the morning

Side note - I think there was no exit, so the only bleeding would be coming from up top, hence, he's just filling up with blood on the inside and it can't drain out because the hole is high shoulder.

Man, this feeling is just gut-wrenching. Haven't had this happened to me in a while - I think it's been over 10 years since I last let one get away, whether that's a miss or wounding one. I'm fortunate for that and very grateful about that. I guess I just forgot how this feeling really feels like. He was a hoss. Nonetheless, I thanked the good Lord for one of the best mornings I've ever experienced in the woods. It was on fire.

Will let y'all know if there are any updates. Thanks for the help guys!

JCDEERMAN

Sounds very similar to the one I killed last Saturday. I was maybe 8' up in a short ladder stand and the buck was walking toward me on a logging road. At maybe 25 yards I shot him through the shoulder hoping to not track him. He took off running right past me and his leg was dragging. Stopped maybe 50 yards up the hill and heard him cough, wheezing or whatever we want to call it and then he fell over dead. I couldn't see him but heard it and waited a couple minutes then started looking. Blew up both lungs so sounds like the same thing but at 350 yards tracking I'd guess one lung. Give him a little bit but my guess is he's dead. Good luck!
I'm guessing it just barely clipped one lung. Shoulder must have gotten most of the impact, but at 10 yards - should've been a done deal. I love muzzleloader season but hate how little muzzleloader shots make the deer bleed. Best time to be in the woods though!

backyardtndeer

If you have yotes around, it won't take them long to be on him. Definitely watch for birds, buzzards were what led me to find the buck my wife shot in 2018. We had walked within 10 yards of the deer on the day after she shot him. Logs and brush can be in just the right places to make it difficult to see them

megalomaniac

Last buck I lost was to a ML. Baffles me why we haven't gone to an 'any weapon' season. Esp since we no longer need to increase opportunity while reducing harvest (at least in unit L and unit CWD).

I HATE ML season. Missed 1 yotie at 250 today, another at 200 this eve, then finally redeemed myself on a 3rd yotie at 100y. All 3 would have been dead with a rifle.

BDS05

Last buck I lost was to a ML. Baffles me why we haven't gone to an 'any weapon' season. Esp since we no longer need to increase opportunity while reducing harvest (at least in unit L and unit CWD).

I HATE ML season. Missed 1 yotie at 250 today, another at 200 this eve, then finally redeemed myself on a 3rd yotie at 100y. All 3 would have been dead with a rifle.
Common denominator seems like range. Know your worth with said weapon. Not discrediting your capabilities but maybe your weapons…. Your argument can go a LONG way and touch on all of our seasons (weapons and length).
I personally love ML, find it very deadly but know my limitations.
Good luck JC, I think you have a retrievable trophy.

megalomaniac

Common denominator seems like range. Know your worth with said weapon. Not discrediting your capabilities but maybe your weapons…. Your argument can go a LONG way and touch on all of our seasons (weapons and length).
I personally love ML, find it very deadly but know my limitations.
Good luck JC, I think you have a retrievable trophy.
No doubt range! I'm good to 150 with ML if very little wind. That's not going to stop me from flinging lead at a coyote tho.

Sorry to derail your thread, hoping you get him today JC!!!a

Latest posts