Answer me this one

redblood

This is an easy one to answer. He is a cryptorchid. He has fully functional testicles that produce sperm cells and testosterone. However since they are located within the body cavity, he cannot regulate the temperature of testicles (which need to be cooler than the basal body temp ) therefore he is sterile.

huntinkev

I tend to agree with maybe they didn't drop....my understanding is if they are castrated due to injury that they will remain in velvet and not shed their antlers....I was told that or read that one time....I know I saw a nice 8pt at taxidermist one year....hard horned in full velvet...in late November....I asked about it and he said the buck had no testicles so he never shed his velvet.
I killed one a few years ago in November during ML that was still in velvet. He had 2 penises and no balls. Don't know if it was an old injury or what.

DoubleRidge

I killed one a few years ago in November during ML that was still in velvet. He had 2 penises and no balls. Don't know if it was an old injury or what.

Interesting.....other than the one local deer I mentioned seeing at the taxidermist...I've seen one other mulie buck out west that an outfitter had taken... big 2x2 that was hard horned but in full velvet...in late fall....and that buck had no testicles....it did appear that he had a previous injury.... crazy stuff.

huntinkev

Interesting.....other than the one local deer I mentioned seeing at the taxidermist...I've seen one other mulie buck out west that an outfitter had taken... big 2x2 that was hard horned but in full velvet...in late fall....and that buck had no testicles....it did appear that he had a previous injury.... crazy stuff.
1606440297369.png
1606440354507.png

Lost Lake

In horses, stallions with undescended testicles are called Cryptorchids. They show typical hormonal male behavior but don't always have viable sperm.

I think bucks can be afflicted with this problem too.

Latest posts