Another Treestand accident

TboneD

Wish I could tell the brand of his climber but evidently he wasn't wearing a safety harness of any type. Y'all stay safe. Even in stand up/sit down climbers like our Summit Vipers accidents happen. Thankfully the dude is ok.

WilcoKen

That looks like a Summit. I wear a harness on the way up and on the way down. Used to not do that and can't believe it. I saw a post about a fall on here around 8 years ago and thought I better start.

TboneD

That looks like a Summit. I wear a harness on the way up and on the way down. Used to not do that and can't believe it. I saw a post about a fall on here around 8 years ago and thought I better start.
Yeah, I'm afraid that even as stable as a Summit is, it looks like it probably is. Although I moved on from the no longer deemed safe chest harness my wife picked up for me at Walmart 30 years ago, I've never been without one once on my stand. My fall almost that long ago was from not using a linesman belt of some sort while putting up my steps and my old Amacker hang-on, stupid me.

Omega

Not sure how that happened, it looks like he wasn't in the top portion of the climber. Honestly, I never used a harness on my API Grand Slam climber, my lock on yes, but not the climber, but I was much younger, and lighter, then. The only safety precaution I used on my stand was a cord from the platform to the seat, so the platform wouldn't drop away. I always felt safe and have even fallen asleep in it lol. Now, I would probably use a safety harness, I just don't have the strength and agility I used to.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
I always have a harness on, even while in the buddy stand. Not worth the risk.

JeepKuntry

Done this many times and it's a horrible habit. This year I have done a lot better about strapping in at the base and being safer though.

UpperTully

I typically hunt areas without a lick of phone service. So if something happened, it would be the next morning before they would potentially find me.

So I strap in the moment I leave the ground and until I get back down and put my feet on the ground.

I replace by harness and tether every 3-5 years too.

Also, never wash,then dry your harness your harness in the dryer. It will compromise the integrity of it.

Last edited:

Latest posts