another Tactacam Reveal XB question

TNReb

I'm about to get irritated with these cameras.

I have all of my cameras set identically. Here's the settings. These have been set this way since Saturday morning. It says allow a day for the settings to take affect. It's been about 40 hours.

camsettings.jpg

I chose a picture from 6:56 this morning and tried to fetch the HD video. I get an error.

"HD Video Request .. There is no video available. The camera must be in pic+video mode to request a video. Currently only the XB/SK supports video requests".

Well, my cameras are XB and they have been in pic+video mode for nearly 2 days. Am I missing something?

All 3 of my cameras have identical settings, and all 3 give me the same error when I try to request HD videos.

UCStandSitter

I'm about to get irritated with these cameras.

I have all of my cameras set identically. Here's the settings. These have been set this way since Saturday morning. It says allow a day for the settings to take affect. It's been about 40 hours.

View attachment 142763

I chose a picture from 6:56 this morning and tried to fetch the HD video. I get an error.

"HD Video Request .. There is no video available. The camera must be in pic+video mode to request a video. Currently only the XB/SK supports video requests".

Well, my cameras are XB and they have been in pic+video mode for nearly 2 days. Am I missing something?

All 3 of my cameras have identical settings, and all 3 give me the same error when I try to request HD videos.
Seems right to me. That's how mine are set. The only time I've seen it fail is when my camera went offline due to battery failure.

TNReb

What is your "send type"? I suppose "timely", but cannot see from the screenshots above. Timely is required to request videos to app.
Thanks. I missed that in the settings I was reading through. I see it now.
I had them all set to send twice every 24 hours.
I switched it to timely. I'll wait another day for the settings to propagate down to the camera and see if it makes a difference.

TheLBLman

I switched it to timely.
Keep in mind with the uploads on "timely"
battery life is greatly reduced.

One reason I haven't been running video mode on cell cams is because of how video, and particularly video uploads, kill battery life. If batteries end up needing changing frequently, how much advantage is gained by going cellular?

TheLBLman

I have all of my cameras set identically. Here's the settings. These have been set this way since Saturday morning.

Well, my cameras are XB and they have been in pic+video mode for nearly 2 days.
Nyper,

I'm very curious as to how long your batteries last running pic+video mode.
Am finding no independent data for battery life regarding this mode, especially on a cell cam.

There is good data regarding non-cell cams,
where battery life is estimated on the standard comparison of cams
taking 35 day & 35 night pics every 24 hours,
then stating how long will those lithium batteries last.

Below is an example of a cam recently tested by an independent lab . . . . .
What really stands out is how video mode eats batteries.

Picture Mode
If this camera were to take 35 day and 35 night pictures every 24 hours, it would last 20.1 months in the field on a set of Lithium batteries.

Video Mode
If this camera were to take 15 day and 15 night videos every 24 hours, it would last 2.5 months in the field on a set of Lithium batteries.

The above pic vs. video comparison was done with a Non-Cell Regular Trail Cam.
If the same cam adds cellular transmission, battery life is reduced.

TNReb

I'll try to post an update. To be fair, I don't get a ton of action. My hunting area is mostly field. The woods is very thick (was logged a few years ago and is grown up badly).

There are plenty of deer there, but there aren't great places for cameras.

With Henry County being in a CWD area, I can't put out salt licks like I typically would. I didn't put in any food plots.

I've gotten about 7 or 8 pictures each day (from the 3 cameras combined) since I put them up.

cbhunter

I'll try to post an update. To be fair, I don't get a ton of action. My hunting area is mostly field. The woods is very thick (was logged a few years ago and is grown up badly).

With Henry County being in a CWD area, I can't put out salt licks like I typically would. I didn't put in any food plots.

I've gotten about 7 or 8 pictures each day (from the 3 cameras combined) since I put them up.
Their patterns will change closer to season. I'm not getting much action either

TheLBLman

I'll try to post an update.
To be fair, I don't get a ton of action.

Thanks, Nyper!
Really interested in what battery life you get running video on these cell cams.

A couple reasons most of us, not just you, aren't getting many pics right now is

1) Bucks in this stage of velvet tend to move around relatively little and may stay out of thicker stuff. Velvet antlers are extremely sensitive (apparently painfully so) to anything that touches them. I suspect this may be part of why they so often spend days on end bedding & feeding in soybean fields, where there is little to scratch their antlers.

2) There is an abundance of food. No reason to be moving around much.

Deer movement & pics typically sky-rocket about the time buck antlers harder and some early acorns begin falling.

TheLBLman

These places happen!

If you're having trouble finding suitable trees for mounting cams, or only trees totally covered in poison ivy/oak vines, these little mounting devices are worth their weight in gold:

You can easily screw them into any piece of wood about the size of your wrist or larger, including low limbs, fallen trees, etc. But try not to put them into something which may sway in the wind. Wind sway can cause a lot of false triggering.

If you use them on a small pine tree, don't go too high up, and I like to trim some pine limbs so the tree sways less in the wind.