annual or perennial?

JAD

I'm planning on using the Deerchaser 007 mix this year, which is close to what I did last year. Only difference is last year I added chickory & ladino in certain areas. Now I'm discing it all up and killing the chickory and any clover that re-sprouted since the rain. It seems like a waste to kill the perennials. If I set aside some areas as perennials, how do I re-start the plot next fall without damage when I want to disc in oats & DER & crimson? I think I have to disc in the fall due to all the dead, dried up weeds,etc. in the plot.

deerchaser007

How big is the plot size??

By the way,... its not my mix,.... the idea came from BSK. I just use it and HIGHLY recommend it for anyone to use cause its that darn good. I used the same mix before except i used winter peas in the place of the DER. The winter peas were wiped out before they got started,.. so i used BSK's advice and went to rape. It gets hit,.. but withstands the browse MUCH better than peas.

deerchaser007

Don't do all the plots in that annual mix. If you have 5 plots totaling around 2 acres ,. i suggest you have at least 1/2 to 3/4 acres in nothing but perennial plots. You need perennial plots seperate from the annual plots ,.. that way why you work up your annuals you still provide nutritious food plots in them perennial plots that are seperate. Don't give the deer a reason to leave your property while you work up your annuals!!

You can't beat ladino and red clover with chicory for your perennial plot.

Tenbears

50 lbs winter wheat
5 lbs arrowleaf clover
15 lbs crimson clover
5 lbs dwarf essex rape
PER ACRE

i think this is the one you're asking about JAD

Latest posts