Ames Plantation Pics

tn24

fairchaser did the buck in your avatar come off of Ames? Man he looks like a giant!

fairchaser

tn24":1ysagn8v said:
fairchaser did the buck in your avatar come off of Ames? Man he looks like a giant!

I wish! No, I was blessed to get him in Alberta Canada in 2000. That pic in the avatar was taken at the spot when I first walked up on him. That moment when we finally realize a dream, I will always remember. I never went back. I didn't think I could experience anything better.

Attachments

• 815EC4A9-60B2-424D-A386-8ACC36EE3EC2.jpeg
    815EC4A9-60B2-424D-A386-8ACC36EE3EC2.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 592

Mudbone

^^^^
Wow!!
That's a monster!!
Is that a bow kill? What does a deer like that score?
Great job! I've heard u sit all day in Canada. That must be some tough hunting.

tn24

fairchaser":3dnxi5np said:
tn24":3dnxi5np said:

I wish! No, I was blessed to get him in Alberta Canada in 2000. That pic in the avatar was taken at the spot when I first walked up on him. That moment when we finally realize a dream, I will always remember. I never went back. I didn't think I could experience anything better.
He is a giant. The mass looks incredible. Beautiful mount. Congratulations,

fairchaser

Mudbone":l0idegdt said:
^^^^
Wow!!
That's a monster!!
Is that a bow kill? What does a deer like that score?
Great job! I've heard u sit all day in Canada. That must be some tough hunting.

Again, I wish it had been a bow kill. But, it was a rifle kill. He grossed little over 183 and a live weight of 275. Yes, you sit all day and that is tough. It took me three trips but we'll worth it. I feel a little humbled by the whole thing. Thanks

Winchester

Andy S.":39bx6jd8 said:
TheLBLman":39bx6jd8 said:
Andy S.":39bx6jd8 said:
. . . . . a 147" 8 point best to date.
THAT would be a heck of a rack!
The best part about this particular, at least in my eyes, was he had about 3-4" of brow tines, so that alone should tell you how good everything else was and how great of a "frame" the deer had. If I had my rathers, I would have been fine with him losing the brows and grossing 143" as a mainframe 6 point. How many of those have you seen, much less killed, in your lifetime?

Here is the buck for reference:

2017 Kill pics:
sbHMdmZ.jpg

9qXNKjF.jpg

2017 trail cam pics:
1MkNJvf.jpg

NLwNirH.jpg

okdEOgM.jpg

2016 trail cam pic. taken in December:
zEpA5IF.jpg

Andy, do you know how long that 8's main beams are? reason I ask is I havent put a tape to this one yet from back in November but def biggest 8 been in my own hands. I guessed him at close to 140 but I may be surprised when I score him, only measurements i took were 20" wide, 25" main beams and 12" & 13" G2's

Attachments

• bige8.jpg
    bige8.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 516

Winchester

Andy S.":3n37k3mv said:
Pretty sure his MBs were 26" and some change.
Gotcha, great buck for sure. anything over 24" is getting where you want to be! Gona have to score this one and see what we got!

Jon54

Andy S.":qv738zxd said:
TheLBLman":qv738zxd said:
Andy!
Are you saying an 8-pointer is a "better" rack than a 10-pointer? :shock:
Generally speaking, in my eyes, yes that can be true. I am probably in the minority here, but the number of points means nothing to me when it comes to bucks I target.

Generally speaking, if the gross score, say 140", were to remain the same for an 8 point, a 10 point and a 12 point, I would rather kill the 8 point. I can promise you the 140" 8 point will more times than not have a better frame (width and height), longer beams, longer tines, better spread, and better mass measurements IF all of the above bucks had a gross score of 140".

Now if you want to wish for the stars, yes, I'd rather the buck have EVERYTHING including numbers of points, but that is so unrealistic in fair chase hunting, that I do not even set myself up for failure by believing a buck of that caliber will walk by me. I am not pessimistic, just realistic in the fair chase world.

Andy, I agree with you. I love a large 8 point. Even better, I've always wanted to shoot a very large 6, but have never seen one other than in pictures. I have an 8 that rough scored at about 143 and it looks HUGE.