Ames Deer Population

Grnwing

I have an interest in learning more about the age structure of a deer heard and a more balanced sex ratio. I have read and requested information from Ames' website but wanted to hear from the several folks on here that have been long time members. I imagine that the biologist have conducted some calculation of the current deer population derived from bucks, does and fawns. I would also guess that they have looked at food sources and availability of browse throughout the year and habitat to help determine a carrying capacity for the plantation. Once they have that figured out they would look at reducing the heard through doe kill quotas and protecting young bucks each year to help balance and reduce the overall heard. I recall from older post about Ames that deer sightings have decreased, which would be expected from high doe kills. I do not know how long Ames has been conducting the increased doe harvest. With it covering 18k acres it makes it a great sample of a wild deer heard. From other studies, it shows that deer populations can quickly rebound and constant adjustments are required to establish a balanced heard.

Have you seen an increase in body weights and age structure of the does that have been killed YOY? Has there been an increase in buck body weights YOY? Has the primary rut date changed over the years? Fawning date changes YOY?

I appreciated any input and feedback

Thanks

Andy S.

Grnwing":3nzmgnn2 said:
I would also guess that they have looked at food sources and availability of browse throughout the year and habitat to help determine a carrying capacity for the plantation.
There is enough crops, food, browse, and cover at Ames to support 50-60 deer per square mile, EASILY. But, that will never happen because Ames Plantation is not managed for deer. The deer club is just one part of a bigger economic machine called Ames Plantation. The hunters such as myself, see things in a different light when compared to the cattle farmers, the crop farmers, and the Board of Directors who look at the overall bottom line (crop damage, crop yield, tree harvest, pine stands, etc).

I recall from older post about Ames that deer sightings have decreased, which would be expected from high doe kills.
Correct. With a deer density of roughly 20 deer per square mile, coupled with very high human intrusion and hunting pressure August through January, as well as the best bedding areas (20-80 acre clear cuts that a rabbit could not navigate) east of the MS River, it makes for some tough days afield, especially if your enjoyment comes purely from deer sightings. The significance of the rut and good weather are really exemplified at Ames, as that is BY FAR, the best time to be in the woods. The deer sightings and mature buck kill align with those two every year, no doubt about it.

I do not know how long Ames has been conducting the increased doe harvest.
Since 2004. We have averaged roughly 180 does a year, with 2-3 years north of 200, and the peak coming at 235 or thereabouts, around 2006-2008 time frame.

Have you seen an increase in body weights and age structure of the does that have been killed YOY?
No increase in age structure. Since does are randomly sampled/killed from the herd, the distribution of ages killed last year mimics the earlier years, when looking at a percentage of the overall doe kill annually. I would have to go back and look at the doe weight data, but I do not recall anything jumping out at me about increased "dressed" doe weights, or increased "dressed" buck weights.

Has there been an increase in buck body weights YOY?
Not to my knowledge, the graphs seem pretty consistent other than the top end buck weights. Early on (2005-2010) we killed "some" mature bucks that dressed 185-205 pounds, but it "seems" the majority of dressed weights recently are 145-175, with a select few dressing north of 180.

Has the primary rut date changed over the years?
Not enough to be considered significant.

Fawning date changes YOY?
I do not know that answer for certain, but I suspect the majority of fawns drop today around same time they did 10 years ago when we were 5 years into the intensive QDM program.

Buck age structure for "harvested" bucks can be seen below. The "1.5" column is collateral damage from the intensive doe harvest where stubby spikes, one horned spikes, etc are shot for a doe. Years 2002-2003 were just every day deer hunting where all deer/bucks/does were legal. In essence, those two years were the years Ames collected data to use as the baseline for the QDM club when setting goals, expectations, regulations, fines, minimum gross score, etc.

zQj4uvl.jpg

fairchaser

I can't add much if anything to what Andy said. He covered it pretty darn well. I will add that I anecdotally believe our age structure on bucks has increased even though the age of bucks harvested has remained constant. While it's difficult to stockpile mature bucks, we don't have many bucks intentionally shot on age versus score. We shoot the score and occasionally get a "get out of jail free pass" for a mistake that ages out at 4.5+. There are a good number of older 4.5+ bucks running around that will never score the minimum and they get passed by hunters. IMO this fact skews the age structure of bucks versus the population. But, maybe most QDM managed land have this dilemma unless they shoot the age versus the score.

BULL MOOSE

Andy S.":3clsqcla said:
Grnwing":3clsqcla said:
I would also guess that they have looked at food sources and availability of browse throughout the year and habitat to help determine a carrying capacity for the plantation.
There is enough crops, food, browse, and cover at Ames to support 50-60 deer per square mile, EASILY. But, that will never happen because Ames Plantation is not managed for deer. The deer club is just one part of a bigger economic machine called Ames Plantation. The hunters such as myself, see things in a different light when compared to the cattle farmers, the crop farmers, and the Board of Directors who look at the overall bottom line (crop damage, crop yield, tree harvest, pine stands, etc).

I recall from older post about Ames that deer sightings have decreased, which would be expected from high doe kills.
Correct. With a deer density of roughly 20 deer per square mile, coupled with very high human intrusion and hunting pressure August through January, as well as the best bedding areas (20-80 acre clear cuts that a rabbit could not navigate) east of the MS River, it makes for some tough days afield, especially if your enjoyment comes purely from deer sightings. The significance of the rut and good weather are really exemplified at Ames, as that is BY FAR, the best time to be in the woods. The deer sightings and mature buck kill align with those two every year, no doubt about it.

I do not know how long Ames has been conducting the increased doe harvest.
Since 2004. We have averaged roughly 180 does a year, withh 2-3 years north of 200, and the peak coming at 235 or thereabouts, around 2006-2008 time frame.

Have you seen an increase in body weights and age structure of the does that have been killed YOY?
No increase in age structure. Since does are randomly sampled/killed from the herd, the distribution of ages killed last year mimics the earlier years, when looking at a percentage of the overall doe kill annually. I would have to go back and look at the doe weight data, but I do not recall anything jumping out at me about increased "dressed" doe weights, or increased "dressed" buck weights.

Has there been an increase in buck body weights YOY?
Not to my knowledge, the graphs seem pretty consistent other than the top end buck weights. Early on (2005-2010) we killed "some" mature bucks that dressed 185-205 pounds, but it "seems" the majority of dressed weights recently are 145-175, with a select few dressing north of 180.

Has the primary rut date changed over the years?
Not enough to be considered significant.

Fawning date changes YOY?
I do not know that answer for certain, but I suspect the majority of fawns drop today around same time they did 10 years ago when we were 5 years into the intensive QDM program.

Buck age structure for "harvested" bucks can be seen below. The "1.5" column is collateral damage from the intensive doe harvest where stubby spikes, one horned spikes, etc are shot for a doe. Years 2002-2003 were just every day deer hunting where all deer/bucks/does were legal. In essence, those two years were the years Ames collected data to use as the baseline for the QDM club when setting goals, expectations, regulations, fines, minimum gross score, etc.

zQj4uvl.jpg

The BSK of Ames has spoken!

easy45

Andy is completely right, the overall deer population has been destroyed in the area, Ames could use some change. I've hunted in the area for 16 years, pictures and deer sightings have significantly decreased due to pressure and over harvest of does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy S.

BULL MOOSE":2o9vn0xz said:
The BSK of Ames has spoken!
Don't insult BSK like that! :tu:

In all honesty, I learned a tremendous amount from him over the years that he was a part of the campfire. He contributed a lot of factual scientific advice to all of us, at no charge to anyone. I wish he still posted here.

pass-thru

Any good bucks killed on Ames this year? I noticed they have posted pics yet, seems like that is a good recruiting tool for them, surprised they don't have them up.

Latest posts