All of you 1911 shooters

Grizzly Johnson

.... am thinking about acquiring another 1911 for general shooting and maybe carrying for protection. I would like to keep it under $1000 (cheaper the better). I have looked at Kimber, Springfield Armory, Colt, Para Ordinance..... and I have a Dan Wesson now. What do you guys recommend? I have a guy at work that shoots some IDPA matches and is trying to get me to try that. Really not sure what caliber yet, but if I keep it 45acp, I can share the bullets with the pistol I already have..... thanks guys.

10mm4me

The best value in the 1911 is the Kimber Custom II for $709 here in Nashville area. The Custom II is a great 1911. It is the exact gun the LAPD SWAT Team chose. The only difference is theirs wears Meprolight night sights and frontstrap checkering. This is the Custom TLE II. It is about $950, but the Custom II is the same gun. Everything is match grade and expertly fitted. You won't go wrong with it.

Model70Man

I don't own a 1911 anymore. I had a Sig GSR Revolution Nitron 1911. It's a sweet shooting pistol that had all of the bells and whistles. I loved to shoot it, but hardly ever did. I tried to carry it but the pistol was so heavy. It basically stayed in the safe. I recently sold it to a tndeer member because I never shot or carried it.

If I had to give a recommendation based upon my experiences with it I would have to give it 2 thumbs up.

Grizzly Johnson

tndrbstr said:
you lost me when you said to keep it under a thousand!.. :)

Not my choice, as I may have to do a partial trade to get it..... the lower under $1000 the less out of pocket I will have to spend. :grin:

Bobby Williamson

are you lookin for a pistol to do the IDPA stuff or a solid .45 cal carry gun ?
ive shot Colt,Kimber,Laser Aims maybe a couple other .45's but my preference is with Ruger - well built and reliable and most important to me is they are affordable !
best shooting 45 I ever owned was a Ruger P-87 or 97 not sure cause the mind is going and its been several years since I had a REAL pistol.

Grizzly Johnson

I haven't decided about the IDPA stuff yet, just got a co-worker trying to get me to try it.

I like the 1911's because they feel good, something to hold on to.... not like a plastic toy gun.

Just looking for something that will shoot great, last a long time, and be fairly easy to maintain.

firefox

You would probably like IDPA if you try it. Your buddy would most likely be willing to allow you to use his weapon and holster to compete. The people I met at my 1st IDPA match are some of the nicest and most competitive folks I have ever met. That is something that doesn't come together well. I heard no 'smack' talk and each and every individual was respectful and hard working. I met doctor's and factory worker who rushed to paste targets after they were scored so the next person could shoot. I was offered magazines and ammunition so I could re-shoot a stage that a score keeper flubbed. The score keeper even apologized for his flub...that kind of stuff doesn't happen everyday. If you are serious about a 1911 please don't overlook these:
http://www.rockislandarmory.com/index.html
They are made in the Phillipines but are extremely reliable and accurate. They also adhere to USGI drawings and specifications so they are easily upgraded by drop-in after market parts that require minor fitting.
The best thing about IDPA is that you don't need to be natty bumpo to compete since you challenge others who live in your own skill set and progress accordingly.

10mm4me

Grizzly Johnson said:
Just looking for something that will shoot great, last a long time, and be fairly easy to maintain.
That would be a Glock 17 my friend and "plastic" guns are in no way toys. If you want a shooter/competition gun the G17 is really the only way to go. 1911's are great. I own/carry one, but nothing comes close to performing like Glock.

Grizzly Johnson

10mm4me said:
That would be a Glock 17 my friend and "plastic" guns are in no way toys.

I meant no offense to those that like them either. I just haven't warmed up to them yet......

FireFox, where do you shoot IDPA at?

Latest posts