[METAL HANDGUNS] "It's like déjà vu all over again."

DaveTN

After trying to convince everyone that guns should be plastic and cheap, are we headed back in the other direction?

The recently added Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 COMPETITOR caught my eye yesterday. It has an aluminum frame. Are we headed back to metal for performance guns?

I wanted to try this gun, but it doesn't have real good reviews. And I wouldn't pay extra for anything from the Performance Center, it's went to chit, its just a marketing tool now.

fUX1y3M.jpg

CHRIS WILSON

I have an aluminum framed CZ P01 that's one of my favorites. It's just a few ounces heavier than a G19 Glock and feels really good in the hand. With advances in metallurgy over the last 20 years or so, I'm surprised we don't see more light weight alloy framed pistols on the market than what we do. I'm betting it has a lot to do with cost. I can see where a polymer frame would probably be more cost effective to mass produce.

Tenntrapper

I have an aluminum framed CZ P01 that's one of my favorites. It's just a few ounces heavier than a G19 Glock and feels really good in the hand. With advances in metallurgy over the last 20 years or so, I'm surprised we don't see more light weight alloy framed pistols on the market than what we do. I'm betting it has a lot to do with cost. I can see where a polymer frame would probably be more cost effective to mass produce.
I wanted a P01 for years. When I had the money, couldn't find one. When broke...there they were. Things finally came together and I got the opportunity...and I passed. The P01 is much wider than the steel framed 75. I went with another 75B. Nothing against the P01, just didn't like the extra bulk from the aluminum frame.

CHRIS WILSON

I wanted a P01 for years. When I had the money, couldn't find one. When broke...there they were. Things finally came together and I got the opportunity...and I passed. The P01 is much wider than the steel framed 75. I went with another 75B. Nothing against the P01, just didn't like the extra bulk from the aluminum frame.
I've always been a fan of the CZ 75 line. Looked at a 75 D PCR compact before buying the P01. I wanted the front rail section that's on the P01. It's primarily my nightstand gun and sports a light. It does carry surprisingly well....though I will admit my Springfield Hellcat carries a bit better.

Last edited:

Latest posts