All Bucks - No Does his morning?

LanceS4803

After watching the chasing (Giles Co) and feeding of many, many does and yearlings from a distance, I decided to move my stand into their area this morning. Bumped a couple deer going in.
10 minutes after getting set in the tree, a heavy bodied, racked out deer moved through, crossing my trail, but it was still dark.
Within 1.5 hours a 3pt came through, a 6pt and then a button. All went downwind of me, were within 30yds of me but never knew I was there, so scent wasn't not the problem.
But, not a single doe. This was a first ever for this place to not see them.
I'm not sure what is going on here. Just bad timing?
Any ideas?

DIRTTRAX

Im having the same problem in henderson county. My place is always a doe haven, but for the last 12 days I have seen one doe and over 20 different bucks, (all small bucks). Still seeing a few tracks but all pics stopped on my trail cameras. I have never seen anything like it, been hunting this place for 7 years and always see does. But now just bucks.

trealtree

BSK said:
What you see on one hunt is absolutely meaningless.

I saw 21 does/yearlings in a single file line walk by me in Ky last weekend. No bucks. Is that meaningless too? Serious question not poking fun.

BSK

trealtree said:
BSK said:

I saw 21 does/yearlings in a single file line walk by me in Ky last weekend. No bucks. Is that meaningless too? Serious question not poking fun.

Yes, it's meaningless as for understanding the herd dynamics of the area. However, huge groups of antlerless deer traveling together outside of winter sometimes has meaning. It usually means that the area has experienced little doe harvests. One of the signs of a heavy doe harvest is the breaking up of social groups, and the largest doe social group seen will be one mature doe and her offspring from the last couple of years (usually one 2 1/2 year-old doe [her daughter]), and the mature doe and the daughter's fawn(s) from this year. It is very common in heavy doe harvest areas to see no doe social group larger than 5 members.

LanceS4803

Fascinating. (At least I think so. My wife, who has to listen to me tell her some of the posts doesn't seem to think it is.)
Thanks BSK

trealtree

BSK said:
trealtree said:
BSK said:

Yes, it's meaningless as for understanding the herd dynamics of the area. However, huge groups of antlerless deer traveling together outside of winter sometimes has meaning. It usually means that the area has experienced little doe harvests. One of the signs of a heavy doe harvest is the breaking up of social groups, and the largest doe social group seen will be one mature doe and her offspring from the last couple of years (usually one 2 1/2 year-old doe [her daughter]), and the mature doe and the daughter's fawn(s) from this year. It is very common in heavy doe harvest areas to see no doe social group larger than 5 members.

makes sense, thanks

Latest posts