Food Plots Alfalfa

megalomaniac

Deer absolutely love alfalfa... but is tough to grow. For it to do well, it needs ideal soil. Ive tried it in the past on some blocks that were in clover, and just couldn't get it established. Ive since given up (and the seed is expensive!)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

TNTreeman

megalomaniac":1o2vv7s6 said:
Deer absolutely love alfalfa... but is tough to grow. For it to do well, it needs ideal soil. Ive tried it in the past on some blocks that were in clover, and just couldn't get it established. Ive since given up (and the seed is expensive!)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
This is the truth! I've sat over a big field of alfalfa and counted 47 deer. Tried to grow it and couldn't .

Hunter 257W

Whitetail Institute Alfa Rack is not that hard to grow if you do a soil test and follow it. I had 5 acres of it that we were cutting for hay a couple times a year besides growing it for deer. WI however warns about cutting it too short when mowing and I found out they are right. If you mow it as low as normal hay type alfalfa, it will kill it over time. My stand started thinning out in about 3 years. The problem I had with such a large field is that the deer didn't even make a dent in it and it would get way ahead of them and fall over. At that point it got too mature and needed mowing. If you could grow a small enough field that the deer demand could balance out with the rate of growth it would work great. OF course this seed mix also contains clover and chicory. I think it's about 60% alfalfa, 30% clover and 10% chicory.

DeerCamp

diamond hunter":332obkn0 said:
Thats what I was thinking,Im gonna stick with my corn.Thanks

You might try AWP if you are looking for a legume that's a bit easier to grown. With 2 acres, you should be able to withstand pressure into the winter.

If you need an emergency late season options, Cereal Rye will continue to germinate for the next 6+ weeks.

Latest posts