Advice Wanted: Baitcaster Specs

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Between now and next spring I'm going to throw down some money for a solid baitcaster setup. Going to run everything from spinnerbaits, crankbaits, swimbaits, and even wacky worms near structure.

Leaning strongly towards medium-heavy action, but open to ideas on rod length and the reel's gear ratio. Favoring at least 6'9" length.

I like the 10-year warranty on Bass Pro's Carbonlite 2.0 rod, so that combo is the prohibitive favorite as of now, given cost relative to even higher-end BPS models that have the same warranty. But I'm open to other suggestions.

Any advice on when to buy low between now and next March is appreciated.

Sam Davis

6"9 to 7 medium heavy is a good all around rod.ABU Garcia Veritas is a really good rod.
I really like Daiwa tatula SV TW reels. They work really great with light lures and on windy days. They are almost impossible to backlash. 6:3 is a good all around ratio.
It's all personal preference. Good luck

UCStandSitter

6"9 to 7 medium heavy is a good all around rod.ABU Garcia Veritas is a really good rod.
I really like Daiwa tatula SV TW reels. They work really great with light lures and on windy days. They are almost impossible to backlash. 6:3 is a good all around ratio.
It's all personal preference. Good luck
+1 on the Tatula. Good lil reels for not a lot of coin.

Big fan of the Dobyns rods personally. Solid quality, good feel, and decent warranty when you snap one. Used to it was $20 plus shipping for repair. A little more pricey than a BPS rod but much better quality in my opinion and not the prices of G.Loomis. Good middle ground to me.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
What is your budget for rod and reel?
Looking to drop no more than $200, pre-sales tax, if possible.

That's up front, at least. Over time, upgrades to rod or reel would allow me to have 2 medium-heavy setups. Just looking to be ready to hit the water in the meantime.

Last edited:

double browtine

I have a few Kistler rods that are the lower end rods. Mine are about 10 years old and I think are the same rod blanks that were used on the G Loomis rods back then. My favorite Kistler is my Magnesium 6-9 medium heavy action all purpose. It is light weight and has great action and feel. They don't make them anymore but they do make an Argon series. The KLX rods are really nice but so is the price.
A 7:1 reel with centrifugal braking or magnetic braking to reduce backlash is a must.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
6:3:1 would be the reel I would go with for all purpose so to speak. 7:1 for me is jig and top water so I can catch up with them running if needed. Medium heavy is a great all around rod. I might lean towards heavy though and probably 7' JMO. In the end it's all in what your preference is and comfortable and confident with.

FLTENNHUNTER1

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I'm struck by the fact no one is suggesting an 8:1 ratio. Is it just near-impossible to slow it down? Or is 7:1 good enough to where faster isn't an improvement?

Spinnerbaits would be where I'd really need to be able to reel slow. But if it's just a matter of getting used to a reel, I'm happy to sacrifice "idiot proof" for versatility.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled

Latest posts