??? About Bug Suits ???

Model70Man

I just recently found out that I'm severely allergic to bee's and almost lost my life this past weekend. I love to hunt and don't want to give it up. My concern is early ML season. I was just wondering how well the bug suits work and will they keep bees from stinging me if I encounter them if I have the suit on.

Team Browning

Id get an epi pen and toss it in your backpack. I have the same problem with bees. Bug suits are ok but if one gets in there and your throat starts to close up and you're a mile or 2 from the road, that little shot will make all the difference!

JohnnyDollar

I'm not sure about the bug suit stopping a bee but I am sure it will not stop a hornet. A good bug suit has three layers and I'm not for sure if a bee's stinger is longer than the thickness of the three layers.

cweand

THEY DO NOT STOP THE BEES !!!!!I had one on a couple years ago when I was hunting at the local WMA. I sat down by a tree at zero dark thirty waiting on the sun to come up. After a few minutes I started hearing them buzz around my ears and face then one stung me through the bug suit and then another and another on the face and neck . I got up and tried to calmly ease away well I must have put my cushion right over a nest of the little yellow and black beauties because they came on. I am allergic too and I swear they know it and purposely come after us because we put off some kind of pharmone that makes them attack. Anyway I only had some benadryl with me so I got one out of my gear and took it and then headed for my truck and headed for home which is only 15 minutes away, they got in my truck and when I got home they were inside my bug suit and shirt and pants. When I stripped out of my clothes we were still pulling them off me. My wife couldn't believe it. I took another benadryl and called it a day. I have bought 3 different bug suits over the past several years and none of them really impress me. I still get bit and stung. Oh by the way I also had my Thermocell with me that day and it may work pretty good on mosquitoes but it doesn't stop the bees, wasps, yellow jackets and horse flies. Matter of fact it seems to attract those pesky ground bees.

Crosshairy

Something to keep in mind that I have tried - when you are wearing any kind of netting around your head, wear a hat with a decent brim, so that it will push the netting off your skin. It keeps biting/stinging insects from having as many spots to hit you, because they can't reach through the netting to get you in those spots.

The face & neck is obviously most important to protect, since a reaction there is the most dangerous.

If I were going to wear a bug net, I would still have some sturdy clothes underneath that wouldn't be easily penetrated by stingers (army surplus jackets come to mind as something thin but tough against penetrating junk like thorns).

Ultimately, hunting cool weather days is probably better protection than anything, from a prevention side.

Darkthirty II

I have a bug tamer, and I know that it will stop a yellowjacket sting. I got into a nest and they eat my hands up, but there were no stings where my jacket covered.
The bug tamer has woven chain like under the mesh, that keeps the mesh off the skin.
If you have severe allergies, I don't know that I would trust any of them to be too far from help.

CZ284

I've got a bug tamer suit as well and it's great. Haven't had any experience with bees yet, but it does keep everything else off- invaluable for early season bowhunting.

Planning a bear trip in spring '09. Anybody know how this suit works with the black flies and no see-ums thay have way up north?

leeinmemphis

The only time I've used my bug tamer suit was in Canada on a bear trip. It does work but you also will need to carry a thermacell. Between the two you will be able to have an enjoyable hunt. If you are going in the spring then you will find that you'll be wearing the bug suit literally anytime you go outside. I had no idea that they would be as bad as they were.

BZ911

bug tamer suit 3d suit work great on bugs and flies.It got hot fast.. Mine ripped up too easy. I walked thru black berries patch and gren briars. it could not stand the abuse.