A few rats bit the dust

catman529

Saturday morning I saw one in the backyard, loaded the air rifle, put the sneak on (since it was too far to shoot from the window :grin: )

P1030745.jpg

P1030747.jpg

Then on Sunday morning I went down to Yanahli WMA with my 12 gauge. In about 2 hours of walking through the woods, I only saw 3 squirrels. But all 3 of them died.

P1030761.jpg

That is with regular field loads, 8 shot, thru a 28" barrel with an XX full turkey choke. I did not get too much shot in the squirrels... just a few pellets... and it's hard to miss them with this setup.

P1030764.jpg

I also walked up on this beauty in the woods. Always heard of them around Yanahli but finally I saw one. He was at least 2.5 inches thick.

P1030751.jpg

catman529

Poser said:
catman529 said:
Poser said:
Nice, clean skinning work. -lost art these days.
thanks, didn't know it was an art... Just gut and skin lol

Slinking squirrels ain't easy. Anyone who says different has either been doing it regulalry for 20+ years or ends up with a bunch of hair on the hide.
I cut off the tail, then down the belly up to the neck and then get started around the hind legs. Pull off hind legs like a sock. Then pull off the whole back of the squirrel. Takes a bit of work around the arms but then I pull it off all the way up to the neck and cut the head off. I've only done it for a couple years to a handful of squirrels... most squirrels I killed in the yard were pest control and I only saved the tails. This time I wanted the whole things to stash away so I can cook them sometime.

timberjack86

I always cut the tail and the feet off first. Slip my knife thru the hide on the back and pull the hide away then when I get to the head just pull the hide past the neck and cut the head and hide off.