870 youth back in action!

Andy S.

Layne,
Yes, Andy said he tried several chokes in his 870 and ended up with the Cabela's BlackMax in .575" so that's what I bought...
Blackmaxx .575 was (I assume still is) made by Carlson. Mine is ported as David K. stated. I also special ordered an Indian Creek .570 ported back when I was doing my testing, but for my style of hunting (mostly hardwoods, shots typically under 40 yards), the BM .575 provided a more evenly distributed uniform pattern at one third the cost of special ordered IC .570, IN MY GUN, and it was forgiving enough up close for those 10-15 yard shots when he slips in on you silent. I handload/shoot 3" 1 5/8 ounce TSS #9s.

Blackmaxx .575 Turkey Choke (REM 870 20G)

Andy S.

Interested how the BlackMax choke does give some feed back when you get a chance to shoot it.
In my REM 870 20G with 21" bbl, I tested factory flush full .585, IC .570 ported, REM SF .572 non-ported and Blackmaxx .575 ported. I chose the BM .575 ported and never looked back. Handloaded #9 TSS shells. It shoots approximately 250/250 at 40 yards, very forgiving up close, but deadly at ranges further than any of us should be shooting. Of course, pattern is better on warmer temperature days when compared to colder days, if you care to split hairs.

Last edited:

CHRIS WILSON

Layne,
Yes, Andy said he tried several chokes in his 870 and ended up with the Cabela's BlackMax in .575" so that's what I bought...to be honest, it looks just like an IC so they may actually manufacture them for Cabela's...who knows?

Lots of folks go with .562" but I'd read several articles about not needing to 'over choke' TSS.....in fact, Dave Owens (The Pinhoti Project) shoots a 585" choke so the .575" seemed to be a great middle of the road.
There are some that go even tighter with a .555 constriction. That tight of a choke seems to be hit or miss with TSS from the reviews I've seen. Sometimes it shoots great patterns (definitely on the tight side) and other times it blows the pattern out. Personally, I'd be concerned with shooting too tight of a pattern at close range with that constriction. I shot a .568 Carlson's last year with Federal Grand Slam #5 shot. It was a bird slayer combination but both birds where also under 20 yards. This season, I'm going to try Federal's #9 shot TSS load. I'll be pattern testing with a .568 and a .565 Carlson's. It should be an interesting comparison.

TN Larry

In my REM 870 20G with 21" bbl, I tested factory flush full .585, IC .570 ported, REM SF .572 non-ported and Blackmaxx .575 ported. I chose the BM .575 ported and never looked back. Handloaded #9 TSS shells. It shoots approximately 250/250 at 40 yards, very forgiving up close, but deadly at ranges further than any of us should be shooting. Of course, pattern is better on warmer temperature days when compared to colder days, if you care to split hairs.
I shot Andy's IC and REM SF out of my 870 youth along with a 575 non ported Carlsons. They all shot good, but the Carlsons shot a 250/250 pattern and what I chose. My son's gun, however, shot a Primos tightwad 570 choke better than the Carlsons. We're shooting hand rolled tss #9s.

Andy S.

For anyone setting up a youth gun, strictly for youth who typically shoot turkeys at closer ranges ( < 30 yards), my factory flush full choke in my 21" bbl was more than adequate with my handloaded TSS #9s. In fact, if I had to hunt with it the rest of my life, I would not feel overly handicapped, especially in the hardwoods. Pattern density at 40 yards was similar to my 12G 3.5" lead #4s Kicks Gobblin Thunder .665 back in the day.

Hevishot 13

Nice! My youth 870 started out in the same furniture as yours. I stripped it and did it up to what I wanted. I added a mcCarbo sear spring, sure shot stock, polished the barrel, had it dipped, added fiber optic sights, a left handed safety, and went to work. It's a fantastic gun.
A3CA246D-61D8-4A75-8FA9-BB4DDB2231E4.jpeg

Last edited:

Hevishot 13

^^^ Would definitely change out stock spring and install MCarbo spring or Remington Sear Spring Trap (light pull). Get it down to 3# or so.
It helps big time. My 870 is sitting right at 2.5lbs and is just about perfect. All of my turkey guns have rifle like triggers. Even my stevens 301 .410 and 20 gauge have had trigger work and 2.5 lb triggers now.

CHRIS WILSON

^^^ Would definitely change out stock spring and install MCarbo spring or Remington Sear Spring Trap (light pull). Get it down to 3# or so.
I've been been eyeing the MCarbo spring kit for my Mossberg/Maverick 20 gauge. Just haven't heard any real world testimonials about it until now. Appreciate the info.

Andy S.

Ordered all the kits...will provide feedback as soon as they're installed.
Trigger springs get better with each pull. The best 870 trigger I have "strictly from a spring upgrade" is my 2000 model 870 12G Special Purpose that I no longer turkey hunt with. Why is that trigger better than the newer models? Because that trigger has been pulled a BUNCH over the years, thus working the trap spring more. Kind of like breaking in a new pair of boots. They feel a little better with each additional mile you walk in them.

david k.

I replaced the stock trigger spring tonight...really simple project...I tested trigger pull weight before and after.

I tested the trigger pull 5 times with the stock spring and it averaged 4 pounds 6.22 ounces

The first 5 tests with the M-Carbo spring installed averaged 3 pounds 7.26 ounces.

A racked and pulled the trigger about 10 times and then tested it again and the 5 shot average dropped to 3 pounds 4.8 ounces so I'm thinking it may get a little better with some rounds through it.

I'm pretty happy with it...I will install one on my Mossy 935 tomorrow and provide results for that one as well.

CritterGitter

Very nice gun ! My very first gun was a remington 870 youth . My dad bought it for me at jumbo sports when i was maybe 9. Im 36 and still hunt with it every now and then . He tricked it out a couple years ago. Got the forcing cone lengthened, drilled and tapped , put a leupold turkey ranger scope on it and a indian creek choke. Ive always shot the heavy weight 7s in it but gonna pattern some tss this year.
20220228_171704(2).jpg

Layne

I replaced the stock trigger spring tonight...really simple project...I tested trigger pull weight before and after.

I tested the trigger pull 5 times with the stock spring and it averaged 4 pounds 6.22 ounces

The first 5 tests with the M-Carbo spring installed averaged 3 pounds 7.26 ounces.

A racked and pulled the trigger about 10 times and then tested it again and the 5 shot average dropped to 3 pounds 4.8 ounces so I'm thinking it may get a little better with some rounds through it.

I'm pretty happy with it...I will install one on my Mossy 935 tomorrow and provide results for that one as well.
Yeah I replaced the spring in the 870 I'm working on the other day, pretty simple job... Now doing the same on my BPS 12 is a pain... you have to stand on one leg, close one eye, stick you tongue out and whistle just to get the trigger assembly back in those guns.

CritterGitter

Yeah I replaced the spring in the 870 I'm working on the other day, pretty simple job... Now doing the same on my BPS 12 is a pain... you have to stand on one leg, close one eye, stick you tongue out and whistle just to get the trigger assembly back in those guns.
Oh yeah first time i took my bps apart i instantly had a bad feeling haha. Pulled the trigger gaurd out and random parts started falling out in my lap. It gets way easier after doing it a few times

david k.

Good thing you can whistle or you'd have been in real trouble!

david k.

Before he died my dad gave his guns to my brother and I....I got the takedown Browning 22 (SA-22) my dad bought in the mid to late 1950's. It was one of the first 5,000 Browning Takedowns imported into the US and I am absolutely terrified to take it apart and clean it thoroughly....

Latest posts