870 youth back in action!

david k.

I'm excited to put this one back in service…

I bought it for my son about 15-18 years ago and cut the original stock off several inches to fit him when he was only about 4' tall. He's about 6' 2" now and the stock was so short it was almost un-shootable for us…

We decided to make it a dedicated turkey gun so I drilled and tapped the receiver, mounted a FF3 on a SumToy low profile mount and bought a Cabela's choke based off recommendation from Andy S.

I'd bought the stock several weeks ago and was finally able to find a matching forend so I put it all together after the Super Bowl.

The last piece will be to screw in a swivel stud…I just got them in the mail today…pretty excited to try it with Apex 9 TSS in a few weeks!

0B5D5613-84A2-4D9D-9ECD-851F7A355B96.jpeg

Layne

Looks nice David, I'll probably do the same this year. I have my sons old youth 870 I bought for them years ago and as I get older my Browning BPS 12 is getting heavier every year...

Did you purchase the Cabela's brand choke? If Andy recommended it it might kill birds, maybe even I might hit one...
I've been shooting an Indian Creek in my 12 but they are proud of those these days.

david k.

Looks nice David, I'll probably do the same this year. I have my sons old youth 870 I bought for them years ago and as I get older my Browning BPS 12 is getting heavier every year...

Did you purchase the Cabela's brand choke? If Andy recommended it it might kill birds, maybe even I might hit one...
I've been shooting an Indian Creek in my 12 but they are proud of those these days.
Layne,
Yes, Andy said he tried several chokes in his 870 and ended up with the Cabela's BlackMax in .575" so that's what I bought...to be honest, it looks just like an IC so they may actually manufacture them for Cabela's...who knows?

Lots of folks go with .562" but I'd read several articles about not needing to 'over choke' TSS.....in fact, Dave Owens (The Pinhoti Project) shoots a 585" choke so the .575" seemed to be a great middle of the road.

Remington700

Layne,
Yes, Andy said he tried several chokes in his 870 and ended up with the Cabela's BlackMax in .575" so that's what I bought...to be honest, it looks just like an IC so they may actually manufacture them for Cabela's...who knows?

Lots of folks go with .562" but I'd read several articles about not needing to 'over choke' TSS.....in fact, Dave Owens (The Pinhoti Project) shoots a 585" choke so the .575" seemed to be a great middle of the road.
I shoot a 585 with #9 TSS and love the pattern it shoots. I wanted something that was not shooting softball size up close.

Layne

I thought about buying a Sureshot stock but I shoot RH and my son shoots LH...and I wasn't sure if they were set up to be ambidextrous?

Those are getting very hard to find now.
They are ambidextrous but man they are hard find now and the ones that are for sale are going for a pretty penny, especially 20 gauge.

Layne

Layne,

Yeah I read some about the over choking on the TSS as well... that .575 is probably a good choice.

david k.

They are ambidextrous but man they are hard find now and the ones that are for sale are going for a pretty penny, especially 20 gauge.
No doubt....I bid $162 for a decent wood stock set on ebay a few weeks ago and got outbid....with tax and shipping that would've been about $190...

Someone does have a 20 gauge Sureshot on ebay now but they are asking about $289 for it...so with TN tax and shipping that wold be $320 or so! That's just stupid....

Latest posts