58 caliber sabots

Matador

Dixie Gun Works, also Thompson Center used to make them for their 58 call big bore. I don't know where you would find them though. DixieGW might have them.

GMB54

T/C does not make sabots. MMP made the sabots for T/C with one exception (50x475) which was made by Harvester.

MMP still offers the 58x45 sabots. $9/50 with shipping http://mmpsabots.com/store/light-grey-sabot/

BTW you will need to keep your bullets on the short side. The old Huntsman was a slow twist. More than likely it wont stabilize a longer bullet. Even a 250gr is probably too long.

Wobblyshot1

What Matador and GMB54 says.

I like to call the Huntsman the first "modern muzzleloader". It was pretty much designed to be a round ball gun as its twist was somewhere around 6o" or so. Those sabots mentioned are cheap enough to try but I have my doubts about you being able to stabilize a sub caliber bullet with that slow twist. Bore size conicals may give you suitable accuracy. I think you can get Buffalo Bullets or even maxie balls from Dixie Gun Works or Track of the Wolf or you may even try Cabelas. If you were closer I'd give you some minie balls to try as I been known to shoot a Civil War era musket in .58 a time or two and have a few laying around.

One other thing about the old Huntsman that you may or may not be aware of but would be good to know. It has a rather unique breech plug that is not threaded but pressed in and held in place by an o-ring. As long as the action is closed, when it fires, all is fine. However, if the action were to be opened, say immediately after a hang fire, and then it subsequently discharges, the breech plug would be violently ejected in the general direction of the shooter...not good.

cowhunter71

10-4 When you break mine, there is just enough lip to catch breech if that were to happen. Also tapped it and installed a set screw ;) where can I get pumpkin balls(58cal). I've got .570 rounds, but the pumpkin balls load and shoot better.

Wobblyshot1

First of all, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a pumpkin ball. A .58 caliber patched round ball will kill the biggest, badest whitetail buck that you're ever likely to run across. If the patched .570 ball is too difficult to load, then maybe you ought to try a smaller ball such as a .562. Also, I knew they existed but couldn't find them until I stumbled across the Ball-ET on the Dixie site. They should work fine in your slow twist Huntsman. The links are below. Hope this helps.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_in ... ts_id=3627

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Ite ... BALL-562-X

Latest posts