Sabots..??

smoke'em

In the early 1980's.. i was using Sabots in an old sidehammer cva.. shot a doe in the front shoulder as she stepped into a firebreak at a distance of less than 25yds.. i was using 100gr pyrodex .. an a 45cal hollow point in a plastic sabot wad.. knocked the doe flat down, as she was struggling to get up..i was busy trying to reload..long story short she jumped up and limped off.. i am now going to use Hornady SST 50cal.,using 80 or 90gr of Blackhorn209.. the last few years i have been using powerbelt bullets.. but like the rest of you sometimes the bloodtrail is non-existent.. will the Hornady sabot shoot thru the same deer..??

GMB54

Lots of people go for the fancy pointed tipped Barnes muzzleloader bullets but......

I like the cheaper Expander MZ with the big open hollow points. They can also be bought as Barnes XPBs without sabots and you save a few bucks. Around 90cent each that way. IMO the most over looked Barnes is the 45LC 225gr XPB.....Wonderful little bullet and very very deadly.

GMB54

I shoot the 45cal 225gr XPB in my custom Ultra Light Arms model 20 at around 2300fps. They are made for 45 Long Colt speeds but still handle my speed without a hickup. Recoil should be pretty reasonable even with 100grV of BH209. The 250gr XPB is actually a couple cents cheaper and made for 454 Casull. It still expands great down to 1100fps or less.

Lehigh has some new copper 230gr, 240gr and 265gr Control Fracture ML bullets for close to the same price also. MidwayUSA has a great price for them. Full Retail is around $1 each. I know for sure they perform as designed even with very light loads of BH209. Its a very deadly bullet too.

Lehigh 265gr CF 50grV BH209 at 25yards into the jug test media. Many other bullets failed this test and did not expand as designed. The Lehigh is designed to shear off petals after a couple inches creating multiple short wound channels but the base keeps going and going and going.
IMG_1960.JPG

Southern Sportsman

GMB54":1z2ih3kc said:
Lots of people go for the fancy pointed tipped Barnes muzzleloader bullets but......

I like the cheaper Expander MZ with the big open hollow points. They can also be bought as Barnes XPBs without sabots and you save a few bucks. Around 90cent each that way. IMO the most over looked Barnes is the 45LC 225gr XPB.....Wonderful little bullet and very very deadly.

I like to split the difference with the 245 gn spitfire mz.

Grnwing

I second the the 245 gn spitfire mz. I struggled with the powerbelts and since switching to barnes my groups have gotten tighter.

GMB54

Spitefire MZ is a boattail and the small HP has not been totally reliable for me. Ive only used the 285gr though. Problem with boatails is sabot selection is very limited. I know of 3 total. Never was able to get the accuracy i wanted from most boattail bullets. My 54cal though for some odd reason shoots the Barnes SOCOM in a standard Harvester 54x45 sabot beautifully.

Barnes TMZ (Pretty large)
Knight EZ Load blue (really small loaded OD)
Harvester Yellow (ive heard of these varying a lot from production run to production run) Buyer Beware