Sidelock ML twist rate sabots?

PickettSFHunter

Needing to set up a sidelock ML for a primitive weapons hunt. What should I be looking for if I want to shoot normal sabots? Would love to be able to just shoot Barnes Expanders if possible since I have a lot. Any issues to be aware of with that? I have a old Charles Daly 50 cal with a 1:48 twist that I haven't shot in many years but at the time it shot round balls well. I have some loose pyrodex as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matador

I used to have a Charles Daily 50 cal with a 1 IN 48 Twist thar shot the Buffalo BALL-ET 245 grain bullets real well. I would just try the Barnes Expander and see.

GMB54

Dont waste your money on any Barnes over 225gr in a 1-48. They are too long to stabilize well in that twist. Barnes does offer a 185gr TAC-XP made for 45acp that may shoot. Its .727" long. They also offer a .451 200gr XPB made for 45LC. Its .757" long. The heaviest i would try is the .451 225gr XPB. Its .812" long.

The 250gr XPB and Expander MZ are slightly over .9" long. Run the length and weights through a twist calculator if you know how fast you can shoot them. Make sure to adjust the value for copper.

PickettSFHunter

Got it out and shot it today. Shot round balls well and also shot Buffalo Bullets 270 grain well with 90 grains of pyrodex. Going to get it dialed in with the Buffalo bullets.

PickettSFHunter

I got this gun back out and shot some 250 gr expander MZ's through it. To my surprise, it groups them plenty good enough at 50 yards. I do want to try them at 75 as well. That's about as far as I'd be shooting this gun anyway.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Matador":2l0ij1k1 said:
I used to have a Charles Daily 50 cal with a 1 IN 48 Twist thar shot the Buffalo BALL-ET 245 grain bullets real well. I would just try the Barnes Expander and see.

I shot the BALL-ET's for many years. They form the the twist of your gun when you shove them in.

Latest posts