45 ACP Reloading Help

Tiny

ShamrockIV said:
i have the three dies set.

i ahve the flare screwed all the way down. it looks like it is flaring maybe 1/4 inch of the case. still messign them up.

I am gonna buy some hornady bullets and see if the problem persists.
i was really hoping to get this going!!

mr.big said:
if you are sure you are gettin the flare right I would guess you are crimping the case about .100 before the bullet is seated,,

Mr Big.

You may wish to try backing the crimper off and set the seating deapth first then the crimper.

A dummy round for each bullet being used helps out a lot when changeing around.

Grizzly Johnson

ShamrockIV said:
not yet fellas. I had trainig this weekend was at the range at Tullahoma so no spare time. thinking about that 4 dies set before i try again!!

Should have let me know, I'm not but 15 minutes fro Tullahoma, we could have met in person & eat somewhere or something.

AlexDad

ShamrockIV said:
not yet fellas. I had trainig this weekend was at the range at Tullahoma so no spare time. thinking about that 4 dies set before i try again!!

If you decide you need the 4th die, just buy it separately for $15. Dont' scrap a $35 set for $25 and buy a $45 set. I had to do that 'cause I couldn't find a 4 die set in stock when I started.

When I only had 3 dies I would set a bullet on the brass and raise the ram. Back the seater screw on top of the die all the back. Start screwing my die into the press and as soon as I felt some contact, I would back it out half turn. Lock the nut down right there. Then screw the top seater screw in until I felt it hit the bullet. Lower the ram and screw the seater down a turn or so. Cycle the press, remove bullet, measure OAL and keep adjusting the seater until I got the desired OAL. After seating the bullets in my batch, then I would taper crimp them.

Raise the nut on your die because you'll be screwing it in deeper now. My nut usually winds up around 7 threads from the top on crimping. Back your seater back out all the way. You don't want to seat any deeper while your crimping. Raise your ram and screw the die in until it touches the ram, back it up about 3-4 turns. Test it and measure. You want about .469-.471 depending on your gun.If you flared the mouth and set your bullet, it will probably start out at around .472-.474. Make increments of 1/8 turns until you get your desired crimp.

Where the 4th die helps me is I can leave the die I seat with unchanged and pop in an unchanged 4th die to crimp.

Offer still stands to come by and I'll show you how I do it.

Brad

Latest posts